CAD bites in bow saw form

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Salvage

Supreme Saw Whoreder
Reaction score
Got a response to a local ad looking for a big cc Poulan saw earlier in the week. I put a buddy onto an IH tractor that he bought and we stopped by to take a look. It is a Poulan Pro 405 that needs more help than I originally thought.

Poulanbowsaws001.jpg

Poulanbowsaws002.jpg

Found this Poulan 3400 on Craiglist in Georgia. I really only wanted the bow attachment as I have several 3400's as well as a 4000 but they would not sell it separately. This is the text of the ad:

"Poulan Pro 3400 Chainsaw with bow bar (straight bar shown and chain are NOT included). New carburetor , but needs new piston and rings (low compression). Good for parts, or you fix it up. I hate to give it up, but my wife bought me a Husky for Christmas."

I went ahead and got the whole thing, came in the mail today. It seems to have good compression, started right up and oils well. Took the chain off the 405 and put it on this saw and cut a cookie.

Poulanbowsaws009.jpg

Poulanbowsaws007.jpg

Here they are together.

Poulanbowsaws011.jpg

OHHH, Cliff isn't gonna like you.
Steeling all these bow saws from him. Lee
I decided to bring out the Mac 640 and have a bow family portrait. Unfortunately, I was one caller too late on one down in Virginia Beach a couple of weeks ago or there would be more....

Poulanbowsaws012.jpg

OHHH, Cliff isn't gonna like you.
Steeling all these bow saws from him.

Great finds, With nice bars.

Lee

ARRRR!!! LoL...:)

I decided to bring out the Mac 640 and have a bow family portrait. Unfortunately, I was one caller too late on one down in Virginia Beach a couple of weeks ago or there would be more....

Poulanbowsaws012.jpg

Nice score on the Bow saws.:cheers:
I don't mind you or anyone buying Bow saws.
Im glad others like you want to collect them.
That funky lower guard on the 405 has to go.:)

Nice score ya got there. I like that 405...What kinda work does it need?
For starters it needs a new recoil spring in order to crank it over. I can turn the crank by hand, so I suspect the compression is low. Missing the air filter and the case is broken at the bottom.

Poulanbowsaws005.jpg

It also needs the handle for the chain brake.

Poulanbowsaws004.jpg

I bought it more for the bow than for the saw.

If you don't mind saying, where and when did you pick up the 640? I have been trying to track down my dad's old saw - this dang CAD is killing me. Ron

If you don't mind saying, where and when did you pick up the 640? I have been trying to track down my dad's old saw - this dang CAD is killing me. Ron
The 640 was in a group of 14 saws I picked up a couple of months ago just east of Richmond. Many of them had come from a closed shop that I think was in the Hopewell area.

The 640 was in a group of 14 saws I picked up a couple of months ago just east of Richmond. Many of them had come from a closed shop that I think was in the Hopewell area.

Thanks. My dad's saw floated between central Florida and western North Carolina for many years. No one remembers what he last did with it. I know he parked it in the 70's when he brought a new 10-10 which he later replaced with a succession of Husky's - the first of which I believe was a lime green color. His bow saw had a two piece steel hand guard which McCulloch send him after he wrote the factory following an accident which put his left hand into the chain in the gap left between the original guard and the handle (I believe the gap was intentional to facilitate access to an oil cap on the gear drive???). I have one more place to look in NC. Hopefully, it is still there. Ron

Back