Carlton bars anybody runnin em??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethro

Heathen
Reaction score
I have had great producution with the spowels of Carltons A1 chain but never ran a Carlton Bar on a saw,I like their chain, its seems to handle mudd beter than Stihls chain. Madsens also has a great deal on Oregon loops buy one get one free,I got some 75cl 3/8 .063 gauge Square chisel,cuts great, don't know how to file it but this winter I plan to learn. any info on their bars would be great.Seth

Hi Seth, I have only used a 16" Carlton Timber Champ bar. Although not a pro bar, I think the metal is a bit on the soft side.
I plan on using it on my Greffardized 2171 next week with some A1 Carlton chain modified by Art Martin.
Gypo

For a person who uses his saw in mud and can't sharpen a chain, I'd say it really doesn't matter what bar you use. :eek:

Hey Brian, watch out what you say to Seth, he's moving up thru the ranks really fast! He's getting himself an 088 full race built by KD.
Anyway, I once worked with a dude that everytime he saw me filing, ( I file every tank) he would say: " did you rock out?"
I'd say; " no I didnt, but im sure you did !" ( he was always rockin out).
Anyway, he would ask me if I could give his saw just a lil tickle.
To which I would respond: No! I dont want to F%&* up my file!
Gypo

MERV!

Hey Gypo,
That pic you posted is from a dealer about 50mi. south of here in Norway, IL. The fellas name is Merv Eastwold at Norweigien Implement. Great place out in the country. The country road you turn on to get to his place is marked by a small aircraft buried half way in the ground simulating a nosedive crash. There are road signs leading up to his place like the old Burma Shave days. Was a huge Stihl dealer (before Stihl put the kibaash on internet sales). The dealership and out buildings look like Norwegian chalets.
How did you get ahold of that pic from way up there?
Seesaw

Hey Seth, I`m too much of a jerk to let this pass, so HOW DO you know that Carlton chain is good in the mud?:D Actually, Brian being an arborist, probably wouldn`t be familiar with bucking on the landing or cutting skid logs. Pretty nasty stuff, eh. I was checking out Bailey`s site last night and noticed that the are running a pretty good special on Carlton bars and rolls of certain chain for $149. Oh BTW, that "mud" chain is probably semi chisel isn`t it? Russ

Hey Seth,

If I knew you where in Winthrop Iowa I would have stop by your place to meet you I just got back from visiting a friend of mine in Dike Iowa it's right next too Cedar Falls and Waterloo,I don't know if your into cars at all but I went out for the 4th Street Cruise in Cedar Falls a few months ago it was cool.I know this has nothing to do with bars I just thought I'd let you know..

Later Rob..

ok treeclimber,I wish I did not have to saw through mud but its where the log buyer marks it and thats where I buck it.I chip away most of the dirt with the ax and cut on the side of log where the mud is so that I am not pulling dirt tru the log.I can file round chisel chain very well,if you would like to try a loop of Carltons A1.375 .050 gauge filed buy me I would be happy to send you a loop free just tell me how many drivers and your address.but I have not yet learned the zen of square chisel fileing.

Sorry that I did not reply right away ! I was at the Wisconsin State lumberjack Championship up in Lakewood .

Rob, I saw at the the Wisconsin branch in Muscoda,WI .but you would of meet Dustin(lumberinspector)abs username there,and a very fast axmen.

Dr Dirt

Last edited:
Well I guess I would have met someone anyway's.How close to Oshkosh are you I go there twice a year for a few weeks with a few of my buddies..

Later Rob..

Back