Carlton chain ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsjunkie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone know what Carlton calls their Square ground full comp chain?
If so anyone know wear or who cares it?
I would like to find a couple loops of .050

Eric, i'm going back to Oregon because its seems to stay sharp longer:angel: In the past i have been a fan of carlton but mainly because of the price, after running oregon again i plan on staying with oregon unless they change their quality. when i first started using carlton it seemed to be the same quality as oregon but maybe its me but i think its gone down a little:(

Do a search for Carlton, they have a website.

I see no proof of the rumor that Oregon stays sharp longer than Carlton. I don't handle Oregon because about everyone else sells it for what I can buy it for.

I just bought chain from Baileys the salesman told me there woodsmans pro line is carlton chain. Just got a 100 foot roll and it says carlton A1 on it

What file do you guys like the best for square chain?
3-Corner Files
Double Bevel Files
Oberg 150 Files

A1LMSG is .050 square ground chain, and A1LMSKSG is .050 square ground skip tooth. I dont have the .050 is stock, but do have a bit of .058, which is A2.

Note: I can read my email at mercuryspeed, but cant respond till tomorrow prolly.

I use Bahco (Sandvik) 3 square chisel bit files for square filing.

message back in reply to my email to Carlton below
I have yet to see it listed in anyones catalog or line sheet

Dear Jeff:
Yes, we have limited availability of square ground full chisel (A1LM) through our distributors. Because the demand is quite low it is usually manufactured on a special order basis with longer than normal lead times.

Regards,

Carlton web site is www.sawchain.com
They make every style and type of chain needed by wood cutters from semi chisel cutters to square ground skip tooth to ripping chain.
There are several styles of file available for square filing, three sided as well as single bevel flat and double bevel flat.

Originally posted by Mike Acres
There are several styles of file available for square filing, three sided as well as single bevel flat and double bevel flat.
Are those files any better/cheaper/ longer lasting that the Nicholson files I can pick up at Home Depot? I still don't understand why someone would buy flat files or triangular files online when HD carries them cheap.

Mike,
I posted their site above and it makes no mention of square ground chain...

At this point, since it is readily available from Oregon why bother ??

I am not sure which file you are purchasing at Home Depot. If it is a regular three cornered file then the two surfaces do not meet with as nice a corner as the files that are made specifically for filing chisel chain. It is a matter of user preference.
At my business we stock files from Pferd and Vallorbe for filing chisel chain. The fallers who use square ground in this part of the country pretty well all grind it and only use a file for touch up in an emergency.

check a couple more places no listings on Carlton square ground...

I'm about to give up on them

Jeff,

Carlton does have square ground chains I use alot of it,if you can't find any go to Baileys the "Woodsman Pro" chain they have is Carlton thats where I get all mine from.Dennis is right on the money with those links by the way..

Later Rob.

Latest posts

Back