Cedar hedge prune pnw december

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorinRadd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, I have about 15 years experience, own a small hedge pruning business. Sorry I dont know where to post this.

I know it is not ideal to trim cedar hedge in december. Right now im sort of stuck. Temps are about 40c/6 in the day 30c/0 at night. The night/morning is starting to frost. Daytime everything thaws.

If all was frozen 24/7 I would not prune cedar hedge. Right now I still feel its ok but am on the fence. opinions appreciated.

hedge is mature. Very thick green and healthy. Itis just quite hairy right now. I dont want to cause any frost damage on the hedge. But client would like it pruned.
What do you all think? Our winters are quite mild here. Will probably stay above 25deg all winter.

Well, I have about 15 years experience, own a small hedge pruning business. Sorry I dont know where to post this.

I know it is not ideal to trim cedar hedge in december. Right now im sort of stuck. Temps are about 40c/6 in the day 30c/0 at night. The night/morning is starting to frost. Daytime everything thaws.

If all was frozen 24/7 I would not prune cedar hedge. Right now I still feel its ok but am on the fence. opinions appreciated.

hedge is mature. Very thick green and healthy. Itis just quite hairy right now. I dont want to cause any frost damage on the hedge. But client would like it pruned.
What do you all think? Our winters are quite mild here. Will probably stay above 25deg all winter.
You are feeding your family trimming cedar hedges? Amazing. Go trim that hedge, and put some nice presents under the tree........your concerns about the effects on the cedar? Thats just silly, and a google question at best......GO get that cheddar!

You are feeding your family trimming cedar hedges? Amazing. Go trim that hedge, and put some nice presents under the tree........your concerns about the effects on the cedar? Thats just silly, and a google question at best......GO get that cheddar!
Guys here charge 250$ hour to prune hedges. And frost can severely damage freshly cut cedar before it can harden.

Snow can actually be an insulator. Do you know the particular species or cultivar?
Yeah but frost on freshly cut cedar can cause the whole hedge to go brown if the frost gets it before its able to harden. Youre not supposed to prune cedar when temps dont goabovefreezing. Snow will
Damage fresh cut cedar as well. I dont know where youre getting your info. It may insulate a hardened hedge. Not s fresh cut

Guys here charge 250$ hour to prune hedges. And frost can severely damage freshly cut cedar before it can harden.
Being a fellow Canuck, and landscape architect/master gardener,,,,,,,and saw tech, I must express my amazement at $250? an hour? to shear a hedge? Photos to abate my bewilderment would go a along way to assure me this isn't a hoax. How many hedges can there be? Who set the price point? I'm back here in Ontario. My 30" Little Wonder, 3 x 100' cords, and 10' ladder can answer that call!

Tell me more given the hourly rate being absurd across the board....lets see some photos; I'm all (SH)ears.......

Being a fellow Canuck, and landscape architect/master gardener,,,,,,,and saw tech, I must express my amazement at $250? an hour? to shear a hedge? Photos to abate my bewilderment would go a along way to assure me this isn't a hoax. How many hedges can there be? Who set the price point? I'm back here in Ontario. My 30" Little Wonder, 3 x 100' cords, and 10' ladder can answer that call!

Tell me more given the hourly rate being absurd across the board....lets see some photos; I'm all (SH)ears.......
I dont charge 250. Thats what the thief arborists in my town charge the old widowed ladies. They also charge a base day rate of $3200. I charge around 70-100 an hour...thats what it works out to anyways. Im an athletic strong guy, I can get a job done that takes 3 guys 3 days in 8 hours by myself. For example i just did a 50 ft by 12 ft high laurel. Took me an hour plus debris to dump. Charged 120. Used to take her husband 8 hours and hes in his 40s. The last guy charged 800. The hedges I do are usually 20-25 ft tall. One I just did I was on the top of an 18ft orchard ladder with 10ft extension articulating pole hedger. Im not talking about little 5ft tall hedges. Some I use a 40 ft bucket for.

that being said I dont know about your area but basically any labour here is 100+ an hour, other than pulling weeds and gardening. Cleaning gutters 250-350 a house. Chimney sweep 350. Plumbers 100$ hr. Painters charge 1200-2000$ A room. My client just paid 16k for her 2000sq ft home exterior. Took the duo 2 weeks. Basic mechanics 100$ hour. Excavating 150-175 an hour

Back