Chains and bars for Stihl 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No single answere

There may not be very many who will make a single choice on that one. Truth is there are many good combinations. I would, however, go with a full chisel chain, and keep it sharp. If you are cutting hard wood with the 026 you will be able to utilize the advantage of cutting speed per whorepower that the full chisel will allow.

bar an chain choice

bar choice is the 1.3 pitch x16"...chain choice is the one size smaller than 3/8 .... in chisel with kick back protection depending on experience...1.6 pitch will do a fine job also.

I agree with spreaderman on the .325 chisel chain, the 'RS' chain. But I like an 18" bar. My boss has one with a 20" bar, but mine will outcut his on all size logs. Not by much, though! It just seems that the saw was made for an 18". Balance and feel are about perfect!

good point T.C.165

The 18" does work very well on the 026 and for a little extra reach an not having to bend as far also... but on the bigger and heavier wood using all the bar can make difference... reach over an get the bigger saw :)

Not sure about the 325 chain, and Snydert, you've got me wondering about the "whorepower that the full chisel will allow" Jeez, it's hard enough to get the wife to accept any new saw, no matter how good of deal, but , more whorepower, ...:rolleyes:

I like an 18" GB sprocket tip bar with Saber 3/8" x.050 on my Walkerized 026. Bar size is more dependent on the size wood I'm cutting, but the 18" does seem to be better balanced than any other.

I have no experience with the 026. However,with regard to .325 chain I have a slight preference for 3/8 low profile. .325 will throw bigger, more impressive chips, but the 3/8LP cuts a narrower kerf. Therefore it has to remove less total wood and cuts slightly faster.

I converted my 026 to a std 3/8" RS chain with a rim sprocket on a 16" bar....modified my own muffler after reading about all the modifications in here....and it performs just fine. Used all the .325 stuff for my 024.

3/8 lo profile on 3/8 .050 regular bar and sprocket

Have heard conflicting advice on compatibility. Is there a difference in bar thickness or sprocket geometry. Am running full 3/8 on Stihl 260 and wondered about the low profile chain. Some is described as being .370 and some as .375

Frank

Wolf_River_Mike, You hadn't heard of whorepower.
I'll bet you thought all this time that it was money that made the world go round, it's not, It is P---y. You either got it or you are after it. The money is just one of means to the end.

Running 3/8 picco rim sprocket/.050 gauge picco 16" bar/63PM 160 chain on my 026,small chips make me:)

I've never modified my 026. I swap between a 13" and 18" bar, depending on the task. The 13" does what I want most of the time. I use .325 rapid micro or the Oregon equivalent, because most of the wood I deal with seems to be full of cr@p, or covered in rubble. The semi chisel chain is easier to sharpen and doesn't dull quite as quick. On some jobs I do, full chisel would be useless - as soon as that point is gone, that's it. After Xmas, I'm cutting some old hawthorn hedge out on a farm on sand. The wind and constant ploughing throw the sand onto the stems of the hedge, and the bark must grow around the grains of sand. Generally, the chain is blunt at the end of each tank of fuel..what a nightmare!! Then there's the barbed wire, nuts and bolts, cows skulls, bits of old tractors, etc etc. :rolleyes:

My saw's taken some hammer over the last 6-7 years, and hasn't caused me any grief until very recently. It must be the most reliable thing with more than 2 moving parts I have ever owned, and I've had lots of pleasure using it. I hope my new MS260 will do just as well.

Back