Chainsaw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Why did John Deere shut down the chainsaw chain manufacturing facility? I have seen some 404 and 3/8 chain at 175 a roll on closeout. Is the chain as good as Stihl , Oregon, Carlton?:confused:

Replies and comments

Unlike other new guys on this site I gladly accept humor, criticism and even a challenge to my gender as long as something isaccomplished on the topic. Hey what can you expect for the generosity of your free time? :D

I didn't respond before because I never thought JD made ANY of their own lawn equipment. I certainly never heard of their saw chain before. I'm sure someone else manufactured it for them and maybe relabled it.

Never ran Carlton, but I believe Stihl chain to last 50% longer than Oregon. I use the Stihl 63PM on my climbing saw and it lasts a lot longer than the stock Oregon chain. I run the Stihl RS (I think) on my bigger saws.

I'll think of a good joke 30 seconds after I post this. Brain-dead now. :p

I know nothing about this, but did JD actually make its own chain? If they just sold someone else's, I would assume that they're not doing it now that Italy is chainsaw HQ. If that's the case, it's probably something good like Carlton.

Pansy! Real men don't ask questions. :)

Sabre chain

I think it was Sabre chain. Was told they shut the place down layed off 300 people and that was that. Don't know where they were but I have some of their loops.

Sabre chain

That junk was the WORST chain I've ever used! Had a 'Z' on the side of the strap links. Teeth were uneven, and you usually broke 3-4 teeth off the first day of using it. Soft metal wouldn't hold an edge very long, either. A place I worked had a couple rolls of it and we had to use it. I'd TRY to snap teeth off on hardwoods just to use it up. Total JUNK!

No wonder they shut down

With a reputatyion like that it is easy to understand they shut down

I think we talked about this here back last autumn, but I don't know what keywords you'd search for. JD was looking at falling stock values, and in order to try to prop them up, decided to sell some of the businesses off (makes the company look better managed). Homelite (chain saws and trimmers, but not commercial pumps, compressors and generator sets) was the first to go, and as a related business the Sabre plant was next. Supposedly much of the equipment was auctioned off, some going to competitors like Oregon (to a plant in Canada?).

Hey Don, why don`t you tell US if the stuff is any good if you have some of their loops? I think Brian is referring to Lazer chain, not the Laser chain which was actually Sabre chain labelled for Cutters Choice. Seems though Marty(ChainsawWorld) or someone else pointed that out to us in the previous discussion. Marty has told me that he only runs Laser(Sabre) after trying them all. Don`t know what he is going to run now. I`ve got a couple loops of Sabre .325 Narrow Kerf that seem to be as good as anything else I`ve tried. Where did you see those prices Don, Arbor Direct?

Brian, don`t you mean that Stihl chain grows to be at least 50% longer than Oregon? LOL, just kidding, just that the last time I bought any Stihl chain, 4 or 5 years ago, it had a wicked stretch problem. The loops grew so much that I could not use them without taking a link or two out and the teeth were probably still better than 50%. I`ve been told that Stihl has fixed that problem, but I can buy Oregon for 50-60% less, so the choice is clear for me. I`ve also been told that Stihl reformulated their chain, less chrome in the cutters, so it may not last any longer than other brands now. Maybe since you are very familiar with Stihl chain you could shed some insight on this for us, or run a loop of current Oregon against current Stihl chain and let us know. I could even send you a loop of Oregon if you let me know what you need and you`d be willing to post your results.

John in MA, have you been running Carlton chain? You called it good stuff, I assume you are speaking from experience or are you speaking from the general perspective that is good? I haven`t used any Carlton since Hitler was a corporal, it just disappeared from the horizon around here, but now that Jeff is selling it, I know where to get it. Wondering how good it is. Later, Russ

Sabre chain

I use the .325 Sabre chain loops purchased from GBBAR. They "told" me the Sabre chain was modified to their specs.
Don't know what that means but as stated earlier the chain holds its sharpness and cuts well. I was looking at the 3/8 full chisel and 404 semi chisel for $170 a roll (taxes Shipping) . I can pick up a roll of Stihl for $245. Don' know what is a good price for Oregon rolls.

I have one loop of Carlton that came from who-knows-where. Not as hard as the old Stihl chain I mostly use, but close enough. Sounds like a good deal these days, although I won't be buying any new chain for a long time. I've also heard good things about it in past threads.

Didn't Sabre make Total chain for Tilton?

i run the laser chain because it proforms well, has good stay sharpe,easy to sharpen and has a good price. i just got off the phone with chet from laser and he told me the JD plant is closed. windsor will now be making the laser brand chain. it will have the exact design as before but as far as temper he is not sure. he told me that they can design a chain for one of the three manufacturers to produce but what goes into the chain is up to the manufacture. i just ordered 25 feet and will be testing it this week. marty

I have some roll stock from Tilton marked "John Deere consumer products". It seems to be good chain. They apparently can no longer get that stuff and are going to be using Windsor, but I don't know if it will be real Windsor or Sabre/Windsor.

Oh well, as for now I will sell Carlton when I have a choice.

The only problem I encounter is having a source for stuff for the less popular applications. I may have to look into Oregon for that reason alone.

Chain test

Has there ever been a "chain" test on various chains using a result format like Consumer reports? This shouldn't be so difficult to figuire out if the manufacturers would give the specs on their chains. Is there such a place to find this data?

JohnDeere/SABER Chain

After the disasterus financial mess JD made of HOMELITE they decided to get out of the Chainsaw Mfgr business. With the general business situation on a downslide they liquidated everything. They finally did get HOMELITE sold but could not find a buyer for the chain factory...thus it was auctioned off in pieces.

On the subject of chains, about 4 years ago a fellow stoped by selling sabre chain and GB bars and just went on about how wonderful this stuff was, The bars were junk the chains were total and complete junk pulling in two, teeth breaking off not made for hardwood at all maybe Buckeye or Basswood. I remember him say, man this chain will hold an edge forever, yeah a blunt edge you could cut dull with it 24/7 as long as it didnt pull in two I bought an half dozen loops and still have two new ones that couldnt bring myself to give away to my worst enemy. I have cut with Stihl and Oregon chains recently and cant tell a nickels difference between them other than Oregon is way cheaper in price. I am a Oregon man. Carlton chain is decent chain we used to run it about 10 years ago. Holds up well doesnt stretch much but have not seen any for years. I t was reasonably priced to. Later Guys

John Deere here in SC actually does assemble there own Mowers. I used to work in a stamping facility that stamped out the mower parts for them. These were The Sabre Mowers by John deere.

Back