Chainsaw pipe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hemicuda

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Fabed for my dolmar 420

20 Guage, 304 stainless

layout.jpg

cones08.jpg

backpurge04.jpg

sidepipe.jpg

snailpipe24.jpg

pipebracket18.jpg

Very Nice work! I have never seen a pipe layed out like that, very creative thinking!

I'm sure cutting that stainless was fun with hand shears!

Have you run it yet?

Thanks for the kind words. I have not yet run the saw. I used the java pipe program to design demensions of pipe. From what I am told this is not the optimum program.

My first attempt was to use 24 guage mild steel. This was a complete failure as I could not weld with any success. either tig or mig.

Stainless tigs easily if the fit is perfect. Some of the welds on the pipe are nice, others are hacked with filler rod because fit was not perfect.

I hand cut the shapes with wiss hand avation snips. After 4 or 5 shapes I had to rest as it takes a lot of strength to manipulate the snips.

The sheet of stainless , a 3/4" tube a 3/8" tube was less than $30.00.
This kind of project is very labor intensive. It does however help hone your fab skills. lots of back purged welds helps improve welding skills.

One of the downsides is additional saw weight. made out of stainless the pipe weights about 1.5 lbs. titanium thin guage sheet?

I will post a video when the saw is running.

Very pretty!

I have to ask though, what is it for? Just chainsaw competition? I can't imagine using that in the woods for long. Plus blowing the exhaust back at ya. How much more horsepower/rpms/gas mileage, etc are you theoretically expecting from using an expansion chamber like that?

A long time ago I guy I knew had a poulan where some or all of the exhaust (I forget now) got piped through the handle to keep your hands warm. Looking at your design..almost seems that something like that could be the handle itself...if you wanted a hot handle. Maybe put something else over the outside to insulate so it was just warm, and not redhot.

Nice looking work.

Don't take this wrong, but not many people have not had good luck with the numbers that java program produces. Even when using some of the better design software the pipes seldom come out bang on and need some fine tuning.

I've done a couple pipes in stainless and with the work and expense with involved would be tempted to mig up a quick and dirty pipe out of mild steel, fine tune it then use the design for the stainless.

Also need to watch stainless for cracking, esp in the header right near the cyliner where a chip of metal could be drawn back into the engine.

That is beyond wicked! I've modified a few pipes but never made one. I'd love to pull the trigger and make one but I'm too scared.
I have AutoCAD but I was wanting to try SolidWorks or ProE.
Again, that is awesome, good job.

Nice looking pipe. I never seen one shaped that way. I have made a few, the worst part for me is figuring out all the angles for the templates. Welding is the fun part.

you tube of pipe

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j9N8dS2TWjI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back