Chiminea or fire pit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
I recently finished the remodeling of our home, well, almost finished it.After all, are you ever done? Anyway, I finished off the changes of our home with a nice deck right off the mud room and have been planning on putting a nice outdoor fire pit for some nice evenings with the family out on it. But cant make up my mind what would be nicer, a fire pit or a nice chiminea.

I took a look at what our local Lowes had to offer, and most of their portable fire pits that are designed to be safe enough to use on a wood deck are rather small. Considered making my own, but still the jury is out on the proper construction material.Thought about casting the bowl out of concrete myself, and fabricating a steel mesh top, but still wonder. What is nicer, a fire pit, or a chiminea?

Anyone got any input? Anyone build their own portable fire pit, and if you did, what did you make it out of?

I like being able to see the fire so I prefer a fire pit - but you have to be ok with getting a face full of smoke from time to time. The Chimnea is better if you prefer to not deal with smoke as much.

Number of folks you expect to be around factors in as well - fire pit works better for big group, Chimnea better for a couple sitting peacefully on the deck.

Easier to roast marsh-mallows and hot dogs over a fire pit.

There are fire pits on CL all the time. I'm sure if you wait it out you could grab one for $20 or less.

My 2 cents : pit. Unless its just you and the wife, the pit offers 360 degree fire access.

My brother puts his portable metal firepit on his deck with a large fireproof mat under it in case there are sparks. He's been doing this for years, but his one concern is heat damage to the deck. The metal bowl of the firepit radiates a lot of heat onto the wood. So far, no visible heat damage.

I vote for the portable firepit. It has the effect of bringing the ol' campfire wherever you want it.

Well... We use our pit almost every night from April to November... cook most all the evening meals on it... it doesn't smolder or smoke excessively... and as far as unburned ash and charcoal, I haven't cleaned it out in over two years.

189508d1309790876-pit-jpg

New-guy rep for ya' though...

attachment.php
I had a chiminea on my deck and liked the thing. During a freak windstorm something hit it and knocked it over and cracked it. I also left a couple of sticks hanging out of it and it melted a small portion of the deck. A couple of inches no big deal. I also built one of these with rocks around the property. I was a lot of work but the family loves
using it. I made it big enough to burn pallets. I love burning pallets..they put off so much heat. You can't go wrong with a chiminea though, like someone mentioned, less smoke, small and portable. They are pretty inexpensive, I think I paid 80 bucks.
View attachment 207440
View attachment 207439

If you decide to fab your own bowl, make it big enough to put an inch or two of sand in the bottom to isulate it from the deck. Personally, I have both...a chiminea on the deck and a much larger pit out in the yard. Chiminea is nice for time with the wife and the pit is great for when the guys show up with beer and some bushes that need to disappear. Pit fertilizes the lawn with ashes via the leaf blower.

I'm with Ponyexpress, one of each. Got the chiminea from the nursery for about $90. It has a decent sized opening and a large burn chamber, came with a cap too.

You might want to check out the laws in your area about open burning, in Omaha you have to have a metal grate over any fire outdoors. The chiminea is easier to conceal in a nieborhood.

We also have a firepit, not as big as avasons!, but about 4' around in the middle. Big enough to make you want to back up sometimes. We only burn in it about 2 times a year, for parties.View attachment 207455

Just checking to see why the pic didn't open up.
207440d1321447761-imag0230-4-jpg

Maybe it's to big..idk. Have a nice weekend guys...supposed to be 60 tomorrow. Good weather for a fire and beer.

Back