cleaing and maintenance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedxj

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
would it be ok to use solvent or brake cleaner to clean a saw? mostly areas like behind the brake and sprocket clutch area. mines packed with oily saw dust. also i read in an older husqvarna owners manual it says to oil the needle bearings on the drive sprocket but i cant see any bearing to oil its probably behind the clutch?

Yes, it would be fine. I like to use compressed air to blow the majority of it off first. You'll need to remove the clutch drum to get to the needle bearings.

Compressed air is always a first. I like kerosene for cleaning, it works and the cost is low. Harbor Freight has an air sprayer that you can blow the kerosene with and it works SUPER!

Ok ill try that how often do you oil the needle bearing? Seems like a pain to have to pull the clutch to oil it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk 2

Not sure on a Husky but on my Stihl I pretty regularly remove the clutch drum to clean behind it, blow out the gunk with air, etc... Really easy to remove the drum, just a circle clip. washer and sprocket to remove, then the drum slips right off. The needle bearings and cage will either be stuck to the crank or stuck inside the clutch drum, just give it a small squirt of grease. And since you have the drum off good time to inspect it. If only 80% of the drum thickness is left on the inside of the drum where the clutch contacts it, then it is time for a new one. And if you keep a piece of 120 (I think?) grit sandpaper in your cleaning kit, then it is easy to just swipe the inside of the drum a few times to keep it textured enough for good contact with the clutch. I also do the same for the outside of the drum where the brake band contacts it. I do all of this every 3-4 cleanings.

When you reassemble, there is (on a Stihl at least) a notch in the drum which needs to line up with the "worm wheel" (as Stihl calls it) to drive the oil pump. If you do not seat the drum properly it will be obvious since you won't be able to re-install the sprocket, washer and circle clip.

-n

Back