cracked bark on red maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickey

Reaction score
I have a young red maple in my yard (4-5 years old) that has a verticle crack in its bark. The crack is about 6 inches long and spreads apart about 2 inches at its widest point. The tree appears healthy otherwise. What is this? What should I do to react to it?

You said the crack was in the bark. If it is only in the bark, and not through the cambium, it is just the tree maturing. However, two inches is a bit much for one year, and I suspect you have the beginning of a seam starting into the wood. It will be on the south side of the tree, more than likely, and is caused by the sun's heat working with the freeze-thaw cycles in February and March.

There's not much you can do - red maple are prone to this, and at least half of my red maple here that are somewhat open-grown (trunks exposed to the sun in Feb) have these seams. As a general rule, they do not weaken the tree significantly. I have seen many branches fall from red maples on account of poor branch development, but I can't remember one trunk failure because of a seam. I have seen them grow closed too. Takes many years though.

Latest posts

Back