Craftsman 5.2/30 poulan 5200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peno

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey. This is my fist post here but I have been reading the site for awhile since I got into a job where a saw became my main tool. Well long story short I have been looking at getting a 60+ cc saw for occasional use. Occasional being I would need it 1-2 days a week for logs around 20" and below. Well I ended up with what seems to be a good running craftsman equivalent of a poulan 5200. But the person before me managed to get a .325 chain on a 3/8 bar and sprocket. Well needless to say it now needs a now clutch bar and chain. My question is if this saw would be worth putting a 24" bar on and using it. Or should I be looking for something newer. I don't mind the weight. And I would rather not have to waste money on a newer saw if all it means is carrying more weight around. I do have 2 other smaller saws that i use. I just need a saw for days we get bigger trees to cut. Thank you for any helpful input. And I hope I'm putting this in the right place. -Peno

Hey. This is my fist post here but I have been reading the site for awhile since I got into a job where a saw became my main tool. Well long story short I have been looking at getting a 60+ cc saw for occasional use. Occasional being I would need it 1-2 days a week for logs around 20" and below. Well I ended up with what seems to be a good running craftsman equivalent of a poulan 5200. But the person before me managed to get a .325 chain on a 3/8 bar and sprocket. Well needless to say it now needs a now clutch bar and chain. My question is if this saw would be worth putting a 24" bar on and using it. Or should I be looking for something newer. I don't mind the weight. And I would rather not have to waste money on a newer saw if all it means is carrying more weight around. I do have 2 other smaller saws that i use. I just need a saw for days we get bigger trees to cut. Thank you for any helpful input. And I hope I'm putting this in the right place. -Peno

@barneyrb.

You should send it to him & have him send you a Husky something or other.

If I keep the saw I was planning on painting it the poulan green and trying to find the poulan decals for it. Unless someone else decides I shouldn't be using it every week and saves it from me

I'll give you 50 bucks to put it out of your misery.

What is it that your doing with it everyday?

Most people would tell you really quick what what would be a good saw to have

If I keep the saw I was planning on painting it the poulan green and trying to find the poulan decals for it. Unless someone else decides I shouldn't be using it every week and saves it from me

The Poulan 5200 was introduced in 1975 so it is over 40 years old. Do you, would you drive a 1975 car to work every day for your daily driver?

If you decided to, would you not expect to have to do a bunch of maintenance to it before you would consider it trust worthy for everyday use?

Can you expect to go to the Chevy dealer to get many parts for a 1975 Impala?

I drive a 85 as my daily driver is that close enough? I am a very mechanically inclined person I would like to think. And I have so many things with motors around my place it's borderline obsessive I think both of yours appear to be in really nice shape!

The Poulan 5200 was introduced in 1975 so it is over 40 years old. Do you, would you drive a 1975 car to work every day for your daily driver?

If you decided to, would you not expect to have to do a bunch of maintenance to it before you would consider it trust worthy for everyday use?

Can you expect to go to the Chevy dealer to get many parts for a 1975 Impala?
My backup is a 75 GMC K2500. Decent brakes and steering compared with the 60's rigs I grew up driving. Though my daily driver is now 20 years old, i guess, like me, its getting to be older now come to think of it. I hate car payments, though spending time fixing them ain't fun like it used to be. My old 125 always gets the nod, and job done on any big stuf im called to cut. A good Mac 850 is fine with me so i guess im just a big crusty old bastard like my machines. I do however find 372's easier on the smaller stuff.

I drive a 85 as my daily driver is that close enough? I am a very mechanically inclined person I would like to think. And I have so many things with motors around my place it's borderline obsessive I think both of yours appear to be in really nice shape!

Yeah close enough for point being made. You can go to the auto parts and get most wear items for your 1985 whatever it is. Brake pads/shoes, master cyl, air and oil filters etc.

There are no shops around that can order you a new air filter, sprocket, clutch , bearing or ign parts for your Craftsman/Poulan saw. If you see a air filter for one on ebay, get ready to pay out the nose for it.

Its your saw, do what you want to with it. Nothing wrong with running it from time to time, but if you plan on fairly regular use out of it, I would suggest you get a newer saw for that use.

You asked for input.

My backup is a 75 GMC K2500. Decent brakes and steering compared with the 60's rigs I grew up driving. Though my daily driver is now 20 years old, i guess, like me, its getting to be older now come to think of it. I hate car payments, though spending time fixing them ain't fun like it used to be. My old 125 always gets the nod, and job done on any big stuf im called to cut. A good Mac 850 is fine with me so i guess im just a big crusty old bastard like my machines. I do however find 372's easier on the smaller stuff.

A backup isn't really what I was going after and not the same as a daily driver at all. But that dose bring up the point that the old saw would maybe be suited for a backup roll.

As for the 75 Garage Man's Companion's more power to you. I owned 4 or 5 of them from 72's to 76's and they were not that old at the time either. Those junks are the reason I have not owned a GM truck since. :ices_rofl:

Latest posts

Back