Craftsman 917.353774 help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spivackm

Reaction score
Greetings Folks,

I am extremely new to this. I picked up a Craftsman chainsaw model number 917.353774 from an estate sale for 10 bucks last week. It wouldn't start of course. I pulled it all the way apart. Cleaned out all kinds of things like snake skins, worms, soft needles, dead bugs, oil, dirt, crud. It was disgusting. I cleaned it up real good. Disassembled the carb, cleaned it good, replaced the fuel line cause there was a serious hole in it. Put the darn thing back together and amazed myself that I didn't have any parts left over. Wow!

The chainsaw would start but the chain would spin and when i let the trigger go it would stall. It also felt very rough, rougher then my weed-wacker. So I thought well maybe the carb needs more cleaning. I cleaned it up again making sure that I got all the holes sprayed and cleaned and all the seals and surfaces were clean.

It started but still wouldn't stay running unless i kept giving it gas with the trigger pull and I'm certain this thing needs a serious tune up. Whats more, I tried using it while continuously giving it gas. Then I and noticed after the trip to the backyard cutting a few smaller branches then back to the garage, that the 4 screws holding the pull cord/starter assembly to the side had completely vibrated out and lost them, as well as one of the two screws holding the black template guide that the sharpening rod rides in. Very scary that this thing vibrates this much. I also noticed that while running it, the sharpening system would slide by itself out of the disengaged position to behind the chain and would not stay in disengaged.

My questions...

1. Could someone help me find instructions on how to tune this carburetor? There's more screws then I am used to.

2. Should the chain spin when i start it or when its idle?

2. Should I use lock-tight on any of the screws?

3. How would i go about keeping the sharpening system disengaged?

4. What is the intended purpose of the black twistable knob in front of the chain sharpening feature. Its tightened all the way but doesn't seem to serve any purpose that I can tell.

Thank you in advance for any helpimage1.JPG image2.JPG image1.JPG image2.JPG image4.JPG image1.JPG image2.JPG image4.JPG
Michael

Take off the bar and chain and see what is up. The sprocket should spin freely when the saw is not running. Then look and see how the chain sharpener is supposed to work.

Back