Crankshaft of my 036, give it a chance?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hi there,
today i have disassembled my Stihl 036. I found out before some radial Movement of the Crankshaft in its Bearings. Ok, the Bearings are dead, i have to get 2 new one.
There is also some strange Movement in the Piston rod (right word?).
How i tested it:
The Piston is off, the rod is on the deepest Point: There is no Movement if you hold the Body of the Crankshaft and push the Piston rod up and down. All fits good. But if you move the Piston rod left and rigt(Flywheel/Sprocket), there is a Movement of 1-3 mm(0 to 0,11 inch i think, dont know exactly the inch)
Is that still ok, or is it outworn?
I think this movement never happens when it´s running, or?

What is the best Procedure to stick the new Crankshaft with the Bearings together( Frige & Oven?)

Thanks for helping get it soon running again...

C.:(

Side to side movement is ok on the connecting rod, it will center itself when the saw is assembled, some older saws like the 015 have no bearing on the big end of the rod. Individual rollers are held captive by the crank and run directly against the rod. Go look on E-bay for a service manual for your saw, it won't take long to find one.

Warm up the bearings carefully and slide them on the crank, use a socket and small hammer to seat them. Warm up the crankcase and slide the bearings into the case, flywheel side first. Make some alignment studs and slide the gasket and other case onto the crank bearing. Tighten all the screws, Quickly, and tap the crank on each end with a dead blow hammer to center the crank. It should spin freely before you install the seals.
I use a hotplate on low to warm up the whole case, and a propane torch to carefuly warm around the bearing seats in the case (after warm) to let the bearings in.
IF you have a press, press the bearings onto the crank, but be careful how you support the crank when pressing. I would still warm them first.

@sedanman
goooood to read, that probably everything is ok with the crank. The last owner must tigten the chain with all his strength , so that the bearings worn out on the sproket side......I can´t belive it !!! What an Idiot!

@stihltech
Ok, that is what I heared too. 10 Years ago, i had to rebuild a Vespa Engine (small moto) and changed the Crank to an racing Crank & the Bearings too. But i can´t remember exactly how I did it.
Ho hot has it to be, when heating up?
Is it good for the Bearings? All the Oil must burn on heating temperatures! Or am I wrong.

@stihltech
another Problem...
I can´t disassemble the two halves of the Case.
They are like glued together.
How can I heat the Case up to expand and let the Crankshaft stay cold?
With a small Flame of my Propane around the Case and enough away from the End of The Crankshaft?

Hmmmm I thougt it would be easier...:(

Thx

I might be wrong but stihls got a tool for doing this...
splitting the case

I warmed it up and treated it with my Plastic Hammer.
Everything is fine now :)....except the Oil Pump.
Anybody removed his Oilpunp for cleaning?
I want to put the case in my "Dish-Washer". But I want to put away first the Oilpump.
Any Ideas?
Thx

Heck I uploaded the .pdf file of that for him and he got it...
same thing as the printed manual.
I think he'd be better off buying the CD since I think he wants them all.
Jeff

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back