CS8000 starter woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfbolin

Hey y'all! Watch this!
Reaction score
Ok, so I finally received my new ignition module. It came with the required updated flywheel stator. The flywheel fan and starter section are bolted to the stator with the same screws that hold the pawls on. I should have took pics..... Someway, somehow, I am screwing that up and not getting the pawls turned right. I laid things out carefully and doubl checked my witness marks, but no luck. I cannot get the fan cover to go on and properly engage the recoil. I have the fsm and the grainy artists rendition of the pawls is of no help. nor are the parts views. They don't really even look like the same pawls or recoil. This is an early grey model. Just wondered if a fellow owner could be so gracious as to post a pic of proper orientation? Thanks guys!

Ok, so I finally received my new ignition module. It came with the required updated flywheel stator. The flywheel fan and starter section are bolted to the stator with the same screws that hold the pawls on. I should have took pics..... Someway, somehow, I am screwing that up and not getting the pawls turned right. I laid things out carefully and doubl checked my witness marks, but no luck. I cannot get the fan cover to go on and properly engage the recoil. I have the fsm and the grainy artists rendition of the pawls is of no help. nor are the parts views. They don't really even look like the same pawls or recoil. This is an early grey model. Just wondered if a fellow owner could be so gracious as to post a pic of proper orientation? Thanks guys!
Bit like closing the door after the animal has bolted BUT always a good idea to take one or more photo's

I don't know if a picture would have helped much? After a lengthy internet scouring I finally decided I mus have it right but something is slightly different between the old fly wheel and the new one. something about the height as the old flywheel has a boss that sticks up around the screws and supports the fan leaving a gap of .100 or so between the fan and flywheel thus chainging the height of the pawls by the same. This seems to cause the "notch" in the recoil to engage pawls at a different point. I should say attempt to engage because only after I held pawls open slightly with picks was I able to get starter back on. It seems to work ok but I gotta straighten this out cause I am not going thru this fiasco every time I pull the covers -which I do at least a couple of times a season just to blow out good with air. Stll yet your pics would be greatly appreciated if you get the chance, Ben. I wonder if there is not an updated set of pawls that need to be used with the ignition update. My pawls do not look identical to the ones shown in the fsm, by any means.

Sorry about the wait. Had to recover from a fishing tournament. Here are the pics.

Attachments

• 20180507_191001.jpg
    20180507_191001.jpg
    1.8 MB
No problem on the wait. That is as good of a reason as I can think of for taking a little longer! lol. I have my pawls installed in the same arrangment as you have. However, I am almost sure my pawls are made slightly different on the end that rests on the peg. My starter never gave me a lick of trouble in use or on reassembly until I changed the flywheel. Now, they lack ever so little being open wide enough to accept the boss on the recoil. My 8000 is a really low serial number, like 004505 or something. Grey saw that I rescued from being a shelf queen a couple years ago. Had 36in echo oe bar on it with a half worn chain that I think was original. In other words the pawls or starter are not worn. I bought a 24 in bar for it last year but got laid up right before firewood season . Then it went to acting stupid 3rd time out this year, backfiring and once it came back to life from a stall but was running backwards.:surprised3: So I parked it til now.

No problem on the wait. That is as good of a reason as I can think of for taking a little longer! lol. I have my pawls installed in the same arrangment as you have. However, I am almost sure my pawls are made slightly different on the end that rests on the peg. My starter never gave me a lick of trouble in use or on reassembly until I changed the flywheel. Now, they lack ever so little being open wide enough to accept the boss on the recoil. My 8000 is a really low serial number, like 004505 or something. Grey saw that I rescued from being a shelf queen a couple years ago. Had 36in echo oe bar on it with a half worn chain that I think was original. In other words the pawls or starter are not worn. I bought a 24 in bar for it last year but got laid up right before firewood season . Then it went to acting stupid 3rd time out this year, backfiring and once it came back to life from a stall but was running backwards.:surprised3: So I parked it til now.
That pawl alignment with the flywheel is is a PITA for sure, otherwise the cover will not seat correctly. My solution was to keep trying by pulling the pull cord a few inches several times with the right hand and applying some pressure with the left hand flat on the cover as the saw was lying on its side. Eventually, and after several pulls, it dropped into place. As you do so, keep checking the fit on both the top of the cover and the bottom. Be patient. It will eventually fall right in, snug on both the top and the bottom.

To be sure, it is the only saw I have ever worked on that was this persnickety when mounting the pull cord housing back on after removing it.

After reading this thread I decided to check my Echo CS-670 to see if it suffers from the same difficult starter cover installation. This saw is a later release and it looks like the difficulty shown by the CS-8000 was addressed by Echo. I had very little trouble pressing it back in place, but a top right curved tab on the cover does require a slide of about 1" from right to left for the tab to slip in.

Back