Cutting stumps...no-win situation...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubby

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are clearing land for an off-grid location (NH).

As I cut down the necessary trees, I cut them with a pretty short stump (12-18"), then, go back and cut them just above ground level. I try not to cut so low as to hit dirt, but no matter what, there's always dirt and other crud embedded into the bottom of the stumps. Most of these trees are Beech trees.

Then there's the above ground roots (coming off of the stump) that have to be cut lower, too.

I just use my best instincts, but I'm sure that there's a more logical way to cut these stumps. None of these stumps will be getting ground down.

I've been using the Echo CS590 for these stumps.

Please advise...

Thank you.

Rich

P.S....

There's some kind of blight on these Beech trees...On many, it's obvious that the base of the tree is open/hollow. But even the trees that look OK, once cut, reveal that they're hollow inside.
It's kind of scary knowing that we are leaving many trees that surround where our cabin is going.
I feel as though we may get a surprise or two (or more!) in the future with trees that look pretty healthy deciding to come down on their own!

Rich

If you want to get as low as possible digging around the stump & hosing it off a few times can help. If they're hollowed out you're going to be cutting dirt regardless & you just have to do what you can

Latest posts

Back