Daka Installation guidance needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaKAnoob

Reaction score
Furnace Wood Burner: Daka 521FB

I have been searching the forums, but I think I'm over complicating the install in my head. But I do have concerns:
1. I do not have a chimney
2. Little knowledge of Furnaces - So when I read plenum, and seen the images/drawings I figured it is the immediate box above the existing furnace Right? or wrong?
3. Need some guidance - Im good with tools and Im sure I have what it takes to complete this task, just lack the knowledge

Can I get some help?

Please see attached to see some images of my basement set up near my furnace and Daka wood burner

Background on home:
Wisconsin - winter will be here soon
Just purchased - 2900 sqft
no Chimney
Two story home

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    47 KB
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    50.7 KB
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    51 KB
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG
    42.3 KB
Welcome to the site. You really are going into this head first. If you haven't done so yet, read the manual. It should explain the parts of the stove. When I hear plenum I automatically think about the heating chamber of the stove for heating the air coming from and going into your living space.

Regarding the chimney, you have only a few options, masonry chimney or premanufactured stove pipe. The latter is likely your best choice but without knowing significantly more about your home's constriction it's hard to give you specific advice on how you should construct the chimney/pipe.
You should give us a little more info, like do you plan to construct you own chimney/pipe, when/how is your house constructed, number is floors, does it have an existing chaseway from the basement to the attic to construct the chimney in, is the basement fully or partially under grade... Does the manufacture recommend or require a specific chimney construcrion? if you house is really air tight then you may need to incorporate an outside air inlet duct do your new system doesn't put your house under a negative pressure. I won't minimize any of the help you will get here but I would strongly suggest you consult with a professional HVAC person thst is knowledgeable in wood combuster. Maybe get a free quote from someone about constructing a chimney/pipe and hooking up the furnace. Best of luck.

Welcome to the site. You really are going into this head first. If you haven't done so yet, read the manual. It should explain the parts of the stove. When I hear plenum I automatically think about the heating chamber of the stove for heating the air coming from and going into your living space.

Regarding the chimney, you have only a few options, masonry chimney or premanufactured stove pipe. The latter is likely your best choice but without knowing significantly more about your home's constriction it's hard to give you specific advice on how you should construct the chimney/pipe.
You should give us a little more info, like do you plan to construct you own chimney/pipe, when/how is your house constructed, number is floors, does it have an existing chaseway from the basement to the attic to construct the chimney in, is the basement fully or partially under grade... Does the manufacture recommend or require a specific chimney construcrion? if you house is really air tight then you may need to incorporate an outside air inlet duct do your new system doesn't put your house under a negative pressure. I won't minimize any of the help you will get here but I would strongly suggest you consult with a professional HVAC person thst is knowledgeable in wood combuster. Maybe get a free quote from someone about constructing a chimney/pipe and hooking up the furnace. Best of luck.
Marshy,

thanks for the reply. Here are answers to your questions:
1.I do plan to construct my own chimney as there is not one here.
2.The house is literally 7 months old we just finished building it, but as you can see we did to think of the wood furnace until she was done...sad face
3.Two floors and a full basement (2600 sq ft)
4.No chase way, but if you look in the images attached, my house does have a fake fire place that sits in there, it is small. also the outlets for the existing furnace run out of that bump out. (I'm thinking I can go thru the floor there and out that little roof and up and over the house. Question is it necessary to have the chimney so high? if so , why? sorry for the dumb question)
5.I would say house is air tight

thanks

Attachments

• image1-1.JPG
    image1-1.JPG
    724.5 KB
  • image2-1.JPG
    image2-1.JPG
    467.7 KB
I installed a used DAKA 622 a couple years back... here's a link to my gallery of pictures during the refurb and install.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/gallery/albums/daka.1308/

Keep in mind I made several modifications, including converting it to 240 volts. However, the pictures do show how I connected it to the the gas furnace plenum, and the back-draft damper I built. Before you do anything else, you need to get the chimney installed... no sense modifying your current heating system until that's done.
If you have questions, quote all or part of this post so I get the notification.

Latest posts

Back