Dolmar 6800i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozark-2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was just wondering about something. I have a 6800i the saw run's great, I really like the saw. My question is if my saw ever goes down can you put a bigger cylinder on it.

The 120Si and the 6800i were some of Dolmar's greatest. These two had the same cylinder/piston. The brake was different

I've seen a couple with the "Wrap" handle in pictures but not in person.

You could also get these that were set up for the D009, K095, or Stihl bars (D025)

The default from the factory was the small Husqvarna style (K095) mount.

I was just wondering about something. I have a 6800i the saw run's great, I really like the saw. My question is if my saw ever goes down can you put a bigger cylinder on it.
if you are just a firewood cutter and you take care of it, That saw should last you a very long time,,, I wish my 68CC 120 super was that clean!!!

I bought it used from the local dealer 3 years ago. A local firewood guy owned it for less than 10 years. The 6800i is a 1997 model but I don't think it was sold until 2000 or so? It has the original bar and it still says "Dolmar" on the bar. It was a trade-in on a 6400. I have other saws this size so I just get it out occasionally as I'm wanting to save it. It is a pleasure to use. Personal comparison is with my Husqvarna 365 Specials, 372XP's and Dolmar 7900's. The 6800iH hangs right in there.

I like to think of it as a updated 120Si as that is exactly what it is. The 120Si was a classic of all time.

When you look at the cylinder ports there's not much porting you can do to it. The muffler bolts are too close together and the piston skirt is too narrow. But when you use a 120 Super or 6800i in the woods, they don't need any change. The porting is old school as the transfers are all in the cylinder wall with a windowed piston. I ran it against a older Echo around 68cc and the Dolmar carried a lot more RPM but the Echo had a 8 pin rim so the cut time was real close. The Echo was much heavier.

$50 on the bag a few years back, scored piston and no muffler,011.JPG 011.JPG PHO,

Warning: about the 6800i/120Si

Surprise - They have a plastic oil tank. It is part of the rear handle/fuel tank assembly. The tank assembly comes completely under the crankcase to include the bar oil tank.

The muffler is two piece and if you let it get damaged to where the mounting bushings come loose at the front, the front/rear of the muffler will separate and burn a hole in the combined tank assembly.

So keep the muffler in good shape!

Warning: about the 6800i/120Si

Surprise - They have a plastic oil tank. It is part of the rear handle/fuel tank assembly. The tank assembly comes completely under the crankcase to include the bar oil tank.

The muffler is two piece and if you let it get damaged to where the mounting bushings come loose at the front, the front/rear of the muffler will separate and burn a hole in the combined tank assembly.

So keep the muffler in good shape!

Yup and keep a good gasket on the cylinder to muffler.

There are a whole lot of 120 supers with scorched tanks.

The si/i had a top side exhaust much more friendly to the oil tank on them dudes.

Being as this series has the old school porting, the so called 2-4 cycle break point is well defined. There's no coil limiter so the mixture is very easy to set by ear.

I like to have it break into 4 stroking when you slightly lift up out of the cut. But in the cut the chainsaw will smoothly two stroke. Right at 13,000 for you tach guys.

Latest posts

Back