dual port 046 muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anybody know if I can still buy a new o46 dual port magnum muffler. This is the old style muffler with the outlet on the front cover as well as the one on the side outlet.

046 muffler

Hello BW,
I don't think you can get a daul port cover from stihl. only on the 066 is it available. just did a late model 066 And they have really restricted the muffler. the fellow that ran it said it didnt have very much power and I can see why. the outlet up on the side has been changed from a 3/4 inch outlet to a 3/8 inch hole, the stainless steel box up at the exhaust inlet used to have about 40 1/4 in holes for the exhaust to move into the main muffler section. now it has 8 1/4 inch holes You have to remove the end of that box to get it to flow. the third thing to do do is replace the new cover with a old stihl magnum 066 muffler cover . 15-20 percent more power. on your 046 muffler you just need to remove it, remove the front cover and see what they did to restrict it and then make the necessary changes. happy grinding and cutting. also change to synthetic oil at 32-1 if you want it to last with no reliablity problems
ken

questions

You say the 066 can be still modified to dual port. Where would you purchase the parts? Only used? I have a new 066 parts list and it does not list those parts.

What other mods would have to be done to the 066 to get that little bit more power?

Pretty much a neophite in the mechanics of chainsaws so please be specific.

Thanks

Tom

thompson1600

You need to get the part from Stihl. I thought I had the part no., but I don't. I changed my 066 about 5 yrs. ago. Why not do it yourself. According to Ken Dunn, you need to remove all the restriction inside ( if you have a late model 066 ). You need to put a hole in the front cover 7/16" X 1 3/8". Cover it with a screen. I did this exact mod on a 044 and the saw is more powerful throughout the whole powerband. Hope this helps. Rich.

046 muffler

Hello BW,
It dosent matter if you put a oblong port, two pipes, two or three holes drilled in the front as long as you let it breath better. if our customers want 2 pipes in the front we do that. on the smaller saws we have to put to holes or 2 pipes in them. also if you put the right sized hole in the front and cover it with a screen and a husqvarna exhaust deflector you wont be shooting little red embers out and no debris can back in
kd

Rich Hoffman

I don't understand what you mean removing all restrictions inside. Inside the muffler on this saw there is a small metal piece about 1 inch by 1/2 inch that sticks out from the port about 3/4 inch. Then there is a hold in the side of the muffler that has a screen on the inside. The rest of the inside of the muffler housing is empty space.

Would I remove that small metal "box" covering the port opening? Is that what you meant? And then drill an extra hole in the front of the muffler housing to the dimensions you mentioned? Thanks, told you I was a neophite mechanic.

Tom

066 mods

hello thompson 1600,
tom wee can still get the 066 magnum cover from my local stihl dealer. 31.00 dollars so it is cheaper than modifing the plain066 cover. but either way if you do the mods to the muffler it will increase your power. taking it to the next step you need to change the port timing on the intake, transfer, and exhaust ports. then you need to mill the base of the cylinder to adjust your squish clearance and increase your compression then modify the carb venturi and choke side for more airflow. then adjust the ign timing. all these mods will cost 250.00 if you do the muffler . 300.00 if I do the muffler. you will realize about 30-35 percent more power on a 066. call or e-mail me if you have any more questions.
ken
[email protected]
530-589-2744

My turn

The following showcases my feeble daliances with a 046 muffler. The 046 has just under 1 square inch of cross sectional area at the gasket interface of the exhaust port. The stock muffler orifice measures .110si. The added slot and new front plate brings up the total to .605si. I had to add a new deflector to prevent damage to the chain brake handle and I'm very pleased with my shade tree mechanics. The saw runs significantly better. I had to turn down the idle speed down 2.25 turns to stop the chain.

If anyone wants a stock cover to carve up, lemme know. I'm going to UPS tomorrow, so yell loudly!

C-

fcfb80f1.jpg

fcfb80ef.jpg

fcfb80ee.jpg

Last edited:
Don, she said to YELL LOUDLY

Why don't you click the little 'email' button beneath her post and send her an email? She'd be much more likely to see an email than a post buried in this forum.

Chop Chop! better get that cover before tomorrow! ;)

I'm still able to get the 46 cover here in Ark. from the local Stihl dealer for about 22.00, i always get one when i get a new saw.

You guys don't understand

She is accessorising her saw.
How better to make her saw than the colors of the rainbow!
Tells mother nature a modern woman is in charge

ms460 dual port muffler part #

The ms 460 dual port muffler is offered by Stihl

The part # is: 1128 140 0616.

The addition of this muffler will not void any warrenty, only increase POWER!
my Binford 2000 (ms460) is a screaming wood eating machine now. Tottally TOL (top of the line)
Frans

Back