Eager Beaver 2014

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello! I am new to chainsaws and have two issues with my new to me McCulloch Eager Beaver 2014.

The first issue it that it will not idle. Once started, it will seemingly rev more aggressively on its own until it shuts off. This last for about 5 seconds. It also seems to let off much more exhaust than it should? Very potent smell. I am comparing this to another Stihl saw.

I wanted to learn how to tinker with saws a bit and bought this one. Allegedly, the seller had recently replaced fuel lines and primer bulb (I have no reason not to believe him).

My second issue is the leaking of oil. It is leaking near where the bar is attached. (Pictures attached below). Assuming it it the bar oil? It drips when running, and consistently oozes when just sitting, not running.

I appreciate everyone's help and patience with a buffoon like me. I am not afraid to take things apart if needed. Please let me know if there is any additional info or photos I can provide. Thanks again.

I hope the photo links work.

Update: After further investigation, the real leak seems to be coming from the muffler. It drips heavily when trying to start (or running), and is a slow ooze when at rest (off). I will try to attach photos again.

Update: After further investigation, the real leak seems to be coming from the muffler. It drips heavily when trying to start (or running), and is a slow ooze when at rest (off). I will try to attach photos again.

Attachments

• 20240706_134906.jpg
    20240706_134906.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240706_134913.jpg
    20240706_134913.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I'd start by completely disassembling the saw for a more thorough investigation.

Engine racing sounds like and air leak; very likely the crankshaft seal on the PTO side.

Leaking oil is probably a broke oil line from the tank to the pump, you are just seeing the final results. The original lines on those models were notorious for failing and if they replaced the fuel lines and not the oil line it will be bad.

I'd recommend asking your questions in the McCulloch Stickie, you will get more attention there.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/mcculloch-chain-saws.71126/page-2472

Mark

Those muffler bolts look kinda loose... I'd remove them & confirm if the oil is coming from there & inspect the piston at the same time. Mark is probably right about the oil line though, they can be a PITA on those.
Check the carb over & make sure its got fresh fuel before pulling it down too far.
If the oil is coming from the exhaust the crankcase will likely be full of it & need flushing out

I'd start by completely disassembling the saw for a more thorough investigation.

Engine racing sounds like and air leak; very likely the crankshaft seal on the PTO side.

Leaking oil is probably a broke oil line from the tank to the pump, you are just seeing the final results. The original lines on those models were notorious for failing and if they replaced the fuel lines and not the oil line it will be bad.

I'd recommend asking your questions in the McCulloch Stickie, you will get more attention there.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/mcculloch-chain-saws.71126/page-2472

Mark
Thank you very much. That is all good info for me to work with. Lots of things to figure out as a beginner!

Those muffler bolts look kinda loose... I'd remove them & confirm if the oil is coming from there & inspect the piston at the same time. Mark is probably right about the oil line though, they can be a PITA on those.
Check the carb over & make sure its got fresh fuel before pulling it down too far.
If the oil is coming from the exhaust the crankcase will likely be full of it & need flushing out
Thank you for the insight. The bolts were not loose, but I'll pull them off again to check the piston. This whole process is new to me. Thank you both for your patience!

Update on the Eager Beaver 2014:

This broken line certainly does not seem to help any....

Attachments

• 20240713_103735.jpg
    20240713_103735.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240713_103757.jpg
    20240713_103757.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240713_103822.jpg
    20240713_103822.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240713_103845.jpg
    20240713_103845.jpg