Early 50's Logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dennis, great picture! Glad you got yourself a camera, your in for some real fun while making some history at the same time.
Im not sure, but I think the saw may be a McCullock. Don Walker would know for sure. The tree is a nice Ponderosa Pine .
John

Looks like a muckaluk to me also. You said your Dad loved them, and that is probably where he got it from. Luckily you broke free of that vicious Muckaluk circle

looks like a McCulloch 1225a to me. i got one sitting in my barn. haven't been able to get it running as of yet. but that is a cool picture.

hmm..well, I guess I am going to have to get the big ol Muckaluk on my roof going, just to prove they do run...lol...and as a favor for the old guy..then take another pic in a 5 foot spruce..thanks for the help guys!!

The handle bar arrangement looks just like the McCulloch that I used in the big timber in the 50's, prior to Homelite coming out with their direct drive saw. It was a lot lighter than the old Mercury that we used before that.
Art Martin

i believe this saw is a McCulloch 1225 -A. they were made between 1948 and 1949 . when i was a kid dad had one of these and i was always on the dumb end of the saw. i have pieces of 3 of these and trying--------------- to make one out of three.

I will put my two bits worth in and say it is a model 5-49. It is hard to see but the oiler is an attachment mounted just to the left of the starter mechanism.

I don't know if this will help. I played with it a little, but there's not enough native resolution in the scan, at 300 dpi, to get it much better than this. I think that's a model/ serial number plate on the side.

The name plate with model and serial number is on the top of the fuel tank on the left side so it is not visible in the photo. The saw could be either of the two models discussed above, 12-25A or 5-49.
The reason I went for 5-49 was the oiler which was standard on a 5-49 but not on most 12-25A models. The appearance of the two is very similar.

Mike, I hate to be so curious, did those transmissions ever
let loose? Much more tranny than motor. Did they run cone
clutches, spring, direct drive, or all of the above? I have
some experience with old ice augers, and am curious if the
same technology was employed.

Clutch was centrifugal, the mount had tapered surfaces so the clamp always kept the transmission firmly positioned. The tension adjustment on the clamp allowed the owner to adjust for any wear.
I am not aware of problems with the transmissions working out of position.

Latest posts

Back