Electronic Ignition for Homelite E-Z Model #1-403B chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Been There Twice

Reaction score
New old 85 year old dude here. Maybe too old to be using a chainsaw....some might say.

Here's my reason for posting.
I have a 1984 Homelite Super E-Z saw. I'm thinking I might be able to remove the breaker point assembly and install a "electronic ignition module" and let the saw live like it once was when new.
Anyone know what part I need or in others words...can it be done?

20191025_222243.jpg There are several makers of the chip and its been done to many models.
You need to remove the flywheel to get to the condenser and snip the lead.
Why not just get an OEM condenser and points and replace them? I have 3 super ez's that are all original and work great.

Yes. I did it with my Poulan 245 rebuild last summer. Follow the instructions that comes with it. It's super easy and works quite well.

You want Oregon #33-053.

The gap between the magneto and the flywheel controls the timing. A larger gap advances the timing. I ended up using the thickness of 2 pieces of 20# copier paper. The paper is 0.004" thick, so an 0.008" gap instead of using a business card (which is about 0.012" thick). The difference that 0.004" makes is surprising.

They used 2 different electronic ignitions, with 2 different flywheels, and both flywheels used the same part number,
so keep that in mind if you want to go that route.

Back