felling dogs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
do ya'll like large dogs or small ones for felling hard woods on 70cc plus saws??? why???

Since i use a 20" on about everything, from small to 40" , i need all the exta bar i can get , big dogs take an inch or so from your cut.

I like large dogs in a set on large saws for flushing stumps. One on the saw and one on the cover. The way the stump flares out will sometimes not let the inside dog bite into the wood. As far as felling goes, if you have a sharp chain all you need are the small ones IMHO.

it's really starting to piss me off thay i find my self agreeing with tim. i prefer big dogs. my one complaint about the 385 is the smaller dogs husky used on it. when fluching a stump it hard to get them to bite on the uneven flare. i prefer the bigger boys to grab easier so i could lever the saw through the cut. on flush cuts i like to sink the dogs in and use my knee to shove the saw through the cut.

can you get a small size dog for the cover of an 036??? the same size as the inside one????:confused:

I changed out a set of big dogs for smaller ones but found that the big dogs helped keep the tip of a long bar out of the dirt when you set the saw down and are not using it. I now use the big dogs with the longer bar only. It' probably just the way my saw is balanced but the bottom tooth on the big dogs keeps the nose of a big bar up. Does that make sense?

I'd have to agree with kf_tree on the small dogs on the 385's are really small for this size saw,thats almost the first thing I did when I got my 385 I ordered a set of big dogs from Baileys for it much nicer to use for what I cut all day long Eastern White Pine and I don't really worry about losing inches from the bar since I run 32"s.I think I would recommenned using big dogs for cutting softwoods and hardwoods as long as you run enough bar you don't really need to worry about it all that much it's all preference.

Later Rob...

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
can you get a small size dog for the cover of an 036??? the same size as the inside one????:confused:

yep! your dealer should have them in stock and don't forget the two small bolts. :D

I removed the dogs on the 55, I think the dogs get in the way of the 20" bar on the 670, and with the 28" bar they are not long enough:(

How much does a set of bigger ones usually go for?

Ok, Stinkgrommet please review your posting guidelines, failure to comply will get you banned. Nobody cares to be drug down like you have repeadily. Now back to the topic. (I wiped out all posts that pertained to Stinky)

Update---You may want to know he signed on with a fake email address. He is now set to banned.

thanks darin! husky, a set of large dogs from bailey's goes for $24.95

Back