Fire Wood to Felling Wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MATTYB11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have any of you ever used wooden felling wedges? I have been thinking about making a set for a day or so now. I had some spare time tonight so I took a piece of red oak firewood and headed out to the garage. All of the cutting was done on the Dewalt saw in the pictures. Overall wedge size is approximately 13" X 3" X 1 3/8" The whole process probably took 20-30 minutes not including clean up.

Good idea. I've thought of it but never made any, yet. Easily made, no damage to saw, burnable, etc. You could make a few dozen and just have them sit in a box until you need them.

I'd be inclined to make them out of something that can really take a beating - osage, persimmon, hickory, black locust, elm, gum, etc.

looks good... nothing wrong with not using a chain saw ... just shows he is proficient with other saws as well... starts with wedges... next thing he will be milling lumber and making furniture... LOL

Years ago

I used to build bridges.We built a bridge that we basically formed in place then lowered the forms away.
We had a local saw mill cut us some big wedges 12 inches long that went from 1.5 to 0 They really took a lot of abuse yet held up well. I think they were red elm.But not sure as that has been 18 years ago or so..
All off topic aside they should work well for you. But I have a bunch of plastic wedges that I always carry when cutting wood..

Those look good, nice job. It would be interesting to use one side by side with a plastic one, drive a contrary tree over and see how it holds up. I have made them quick in the woods when I came up short, but it was always as more of a filler for a plastic wedge and I never really beat on them much.

I've been wanting to make some. When they get beat up just throw them in the stove for kindling.

I've got a 12" DeWalt mitre saw but it's not a slider like yours. DeWalt makes very good tools.

I'd be inclined to make them out of something that can really take a beating - osage, persimmon, hickory, black locust, elm, gum, etc.

I would have prefered white oak or black locust but I didn't have any at the top of the pile. If these work out well I may take the time to dig some out and make a few more wedges.

next thing he will be milling lumber and making furniture... LOL

I would love to get into milling but I just don't have the room. I live in the city and I only have about a quarter of an acre of land. :mad:

Nice

Those look real nice! They'll work just fine... I pick up oak surveyor hubs from work that are almost identical to the ones you made, only half as wide and they work great! haven't had one pop out yet knock on wood.

How do you hold the wedge in the miter saw without getting your fingers too close?? :chainsaw:

How do you hold the wedge in the miter saw without getting your fingers too close?? :chainsaw:

I used the bar clamp in the pic to hold the pieces for the last few cuts. Once I had the pice lined up I just clamped it to the saw and made the cut. I used to spend alot of time on these saws at work so I can usually make them do whatever I want without too much fuss.

There was athread a while back,ND tree hugger I think showing how he cut them with his chainsaw and the last step was I think soaking them in oil.Looks like a neat idea.

Have any of you ever used wooden felling wedges? I have been thinking about making a set for a day or so now. I had some spare time tonight so I took a piece of red oak firewood and headed out to the garage. All of the cutting was done on the Dewalt saw in the pictures. Overall wedge size is approximately 13" X 3" X 1 3/8" The whole process probably took 20-30 minutes not including clean up.

i'm out of rep for the night, but good job

just don't go beatin' the snot out of em on a hard sit back

Back