Firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A neighbor has asked me to drop 7 trees in his yard, all 20" to 28" at the stump. There are 4 Ash, 2 Black Walnut and 1 Butternut. The Walnuts are going to my frriends' band mill, for sure. The question is, are the Ash, and the limbs form the walnut and butternut any good for firewood????? I admit I am spoiled for firewood, I usually only take Oaks and Cherry. I burned some ash one time before, and it seemed to make a lot of ashes, and was not impressed with the amount of heat. Thanks in advance.

They should work fine for firewood. Not as good as oak but as good or better than cherry. I have had excellent luck with ash in terms of heat and coaling, although that powdery ash is a nuisance.

The butternut would be better run through the mill than the stove, real pretty lumber.

Dave, I was just thinking the same thing. Much better resource use as lumber than firewood. Ash is good lumber if you are looking for that white oak look w/o the weight and cost.

What I didn't like about ash for lumber........ seems to suck sand out of the soil, saw dulled fast and for a hard wood it gummed up the blade. Also, tough wood that it is, set the fresh boards down like putting a baby in his crib, or they split halfway up. :eek:

Latest posts

Back