Gloves on for cleaning chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Do any of you fellas use gloves when you clean your saws? Heh,I can skip the macho stuff.If some guy wants his hands eaten away by solvents be my guest.Couple of days ago I emptied out the gas tank on an old saw,put an old rag in there to mop/soak up whatever else was left,then I let it air out.This was a good tip from pioneerguy600 by the way.I was not wearing gloves doing this.So a little later my one hand that I had mainly used, started burning like hell.It was a chemical type burn,red, dried up and then started to crack.Man it was sore,but put on some good stuff and it is healing up.So what type do you use,nitrile,latex.I have been using Nitrile,but it does not take much to rip them up.If you use real thick ones you don't get the dexterity.Sorry about being so long winded about it!
Lawrence

At the pharmacy you can get boxes of 100 disposable gloves. Very handy for any time you want to protect your skin or just stay a little cleaner for a dirty job. Cheap enough that if you go through a few pair in the course of a job it's no big deal.

Here's a place to see what's available, tho I've never done business with them, and don't buy by the case anyway.

http://www.glovenation.com/

I have a heavier pair of nitrile chemical resistant gloves that sit on the parts washer. I use them whenever I use the parts washer.

For working on chainsaws, anything where I get my hands dirty, I use disposable nitrile gloves.

With time you won't hardly nitice you are wearing them.

Mr. HE:cool:

I'll use nitrile gloves every once and a while. You have to be careful with which solvents you are using. They are a little more resistant to chemicals than latex gloves, but you can have a false sense of security with them. I had a pair on when I was using some paint stripper, I only had a small drop on the gloves, but it ate right through them. I didn't realize till my hand started burning. Also, even under light use they eventually tend to rip. It is almost like dry rot. I have a pair of the knit gloves with the palms and fingers dipped in nitrile. I used them a lot when I was pointing my house and doing some concrete work. They protect your hands pretty good and they don't breakdown like the straight nitrile gloves. One thing to consider is price. The straight nitrile gloves are pretty cheap, I usually wear them once and throw them away. The knit ones I was talking about are a few bucks for a pair, still pretty cheap. You lose some feel, but depending on what you are doing, they might be the right choice.

latex gloves are bad news as anything petroleum or oil based will eat right through them but nitrile gloves are chemical resistant and the better ones are fairly tough too. I dont personally wear gloves because of the hassle of buying them and then trying to find them in the shop later on but I also dont have sensitive skin and have never had a reaction to anything I've dealt with.

Won't solvent eat right through those?

Carb cleaner type solvants seem to eat through almost anything.

I've found paint thinner is much easier on gloves. Latex works ok even.

Mr. HE:cool:

I get disposable Nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight - 100 gloves for about eight bucks. They're lightly coated w/powder in the inside to make putting them on easier. If a saw's really funky, I'll use about two pair to clean one saw. Carb cleaner & brake cleaner will make the material looser, but I haven't noticed those chemicals eating through yet.

I get disposable Nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight - 100 gloves for about eight bucks. They're lightly coated w/powder in the inside to make putting them on easier. If a saw's really funky, I'll use about two pair to clean one saw. Carb cleaner & brake cleaner will make the material looser, but I haven't noticed those chemicals eating through yet.

I use the same nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight, and then have a heavy pair to slip on by the parts washer if I'm going to get really involved with a nasty project. It saves the hands and saves on cleaning up later.

Sam

Glove choice depends on what you are working with. Nitrile stands up relatively well with acids/bases or any other solutions that have a good amount of water in them. Acetone destroys them in no time, and other solvents do the same just not as fast.

Latex are mainly for health workers, they are useless for just about anything related to chemicals.

the good old yellow rubber kitchen gloves stand up pretty good to some solvents, better than nitrile for some things, but the equivalent thickness of nitrile can last just as well for other things.

In reality they aren't necessarily meant to last indefinitely... I typically have to change mine a few times during certain tasks. They are cheap, so when they start to lose their texture, throw them out and pull on a fresh pair.

Cleaners

I use a bio degradeable cleaner from northertools called moster wash. Works well and dont have to worry about the gloves. For everything else I use 4 mil ply nitril gloves

Varmit

what kind of sprays do you use to clean your saws with.. I know my husky has quite a bit of plastic on it as most saws do so I use a dry brush with stiff bristles and shop towel but there are some stuff and some areas I just cant get clean or to break loose from the saw..I afraid to use carb cleaner as it may crack the plastic... thanks..

I buy the 8 mil Nitrile from Graingers by the 100 ct box. They fit close if you get the right size. [I hate loose-fitting "rubber" gloves for doing fine work]. I reuse them til they tear. They've held up to xylene, acetone, avgas, WD40, etc. The 4 mil are prone to fairly easy cutting or tearing, with the use I put to them, so I stick with the heavier ones. I think they run about $17 a hundred. Worth it, and sometimes I get them on sale.

If I use them I use Black Lightning Nitrile gloves made for mechanics as they are more durable than the blue or purple ones that are more general use, plus they are black which makes you feel like less of a girly man for wearing them. I should use them more but I forget especially since my work pays for them:D

I'm with Brad, bare skin is what I go with. I know it's not right, but years of abuse has got them pretty tough. If I use the gloves, my hands seem to sweat buckets, or I rip them in seconds flat.

Lawrence, you didn't get that "burning sensation" from a super 3270, did you? :monkey:

Gloves are for doctors in surgery. Feels good to get your hands dirty. Makes you feel a little like your old man or grandpa back in the day, when men were men...

Back