Groundie Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe. We have come to believe the dannerusa site is bogus.

www.danner.com seems to be the real deal.

Roy
But wait! Order now and get 2 pair for the price of one!

I went back and the end-of-sale timer had reset and started over. It's a brazen imitation of Danner's site. What do you suppose is the scam? Counterfeits?

Back to the 2 of 4 rule, I gave up trying to find durable and lightweight boots, at least in hikers. I know it's possible to make such a boot -- my first pair were cheap, durable and lightweight Hi-Tecs, back when light composite hiking boots were a new thing. Lasted way longer than I had any reason to expect. My next pair were Gore-tex lined LL Bean hikers, that were probably $120 around 1992. They also lasted forever. Since then, no matter how expensive, I haven't got more than 2 years out of a pair before the soles delaminate or the uppers fall apart. Finally broke down and bought a pair of off-the-shelf Limmers, which should outlast me, and are the most expensive piece of clothing I own.

But wait! Order now and get 2 pair for the price of one!

I went back and the end-of-sale timer had reset and started over. It's a brazen imitation of Danner's site. What do you suppose is the scam? Counterfeits?

Back to the 2 of 4 rule, I gave up trying to find durable and lightweight boots, at least in hikers. I know it's possible to make such a boot -- my first pair were cheap, durable and lightweight Hi-Tecs, back when light composite hiking boots were a new thing. Lasted way longer than I had any reason to expect. My next pair were Gore-tex lined LL Bean hikers, that were probably $120 around 1992. They also lasted forever. Since then, no matter how expensive, I haven't got more than 2 years out of a pair before the soles delaminate or the uppers fall apart. Finally broke down and bought a pair of off-the-shelf Limmers, which should outlast me, and are the most expensive piece of clothing I own.

That's right. Hard tellin' if expensive boots, like Limmers or Whites, are actually expensive, in the long run.

I have Whites from the mid-70's which have been rebuilt and resoled a number of times. While I have not done the math, they have probably been "cheap boots" at this point. They have also been no-blisters and never-fall-apart boots...and, those things are worth considerable coin to me, anyway.

Roy

Re: Redwing boots:
Redwing does indeed make boots in "B" width in certain styles. I wear 11.5 B and have worn them for years. The most comfortable boot I have ever put on my narrow feet. I have to special order them from my local store, but they almost always have them at the warehouse. Not cheap, but they last a long time if you take care of them.

Back