Help ID this Jonny

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I picked up this little swedish beauty sans decal this week and was hoping the group can help positively ID which model she be. I was thinking a 49SP, but looking at Mike Acre's Chainsaw Collector's page, a lot of Jonnys looked alike up until about 1982. Serial No. is 694612. It's the only ID I can find.

Last edited:
Another Shot

PS: She runs like a top. Starts on 2nd pull cold. Wish my Husky 350 did that. The 3/8 pitch bumperlink chipper chain seems to cut better than my 350's sharp .325 chisel does. Seems to grunt through, torquier. Makes me think it's bigger than a 50cc saw, but I don't have much to compare it to.

Not as creditable a source as most of the guys here, but I have a few old adds & catalogs etc. I'd say Methos nailed it on the head with the 49SP. Like you said though, there were other models that looked alot alike.

Nice saw! Congrats on your new baby.

This saw is either a 51, 52, or a 52E.

If there is no oil adjustment screw on the bottom of the saw, then it is a 51.

If it has points, it is a 52. If it has Electronic ignition, then it is a 52E.

All 49sp models had red top covers. The black top covers started with the 51 and 52 series.

Stihltech, Motorsag is a Jonsered(s) EXPERT, if he says it's a waterbuffalo then I would agree with him, if he says it's no 49SP then it's NOT a 49SP. I have two 49SP's currently (had three, gave one away) no black body parts on any of them.

Well... She does have adjustable oiler and electronic ignition. Does this sound like the 49SP? The black top thing is one of the reasons I wasn't sure. Seems like they changed the top color mid-production.

My newest 49SP was made in 1982 (end of the run) and it's all red. Check Mike Acres site and see the differences and more importantly the similarities between these saws. The 49SP clutch cover does NOT have a sight line cast into it.

The 49sp "never" had electronic ignition. If you have electronic ignition, with the oiler adjuster screw on the bottom, then you have a 52E.

The top covers of the 49sp, 50, 51, 52, 52E, and 521EV are interchangable. Often I see red covers on 52 series, and I see black covers on 49 series. The 50 had silver top covers, and I have seen silver covers on 49's !!!

The ignition coil on the 49sp is mounted on the side of the cylinder, while the coil on the 52 series is mounted inside the starter cover.

The 50 had a silver top. The 51 was the first model to have a black top. I have a 51 in my collection that has a black top, with a silver airfilter cover.

Another difference is in the fuel supply line. The 50 series saws use and white plastic fuel block mounted to the crankcase by means of four (4) 3mm screws. The 49sp never used the block. The fuel line simply ran through a hole in the case.

OK, Motorsag, this helps alot. The coil on this saw is mounted in the starter housing, not on the cylinder, ruling out the 49SP (?). I jumped the gun a little on claiming electronic ignition. I was mistaking the coil for a CDI. Is there anyway to tell w/o pulling the flywheel? The fuel line routing is like you describe for the 49SP, though. It leads from the tank to the carb through a simple hole through the housing (see attached blurry photo). Looking at M. Acres's site, I'm amazed at the number of different 49cc saws Jonsered was producing at the same time... Sedanman, can you elaborate on the sight line cast into the cover? I don't quite follow you.
Thanks, guys... Keep 'em coming.
Dave E.

Picture of coil

I'm attaching a picture of the coil and starter housing to see if this may help clarify.
DE

Look at this jonsered(s) model 70e the line cast into the clutch cover is a sight line, if all your cuts are right the tree will fall in the direction of this line. I have wondered what the bulge in the starter cover was for now I know, this is the SAME starter housing as a 49SP! Also none of 49SP's I've seen had the two tone paint on the clutch cover but it shows it on the brochure. Look at the 70e here: http://64.180.101.188/sites/cscc.ns...3a55a2ed7b64a45388256b69007f99e7?OpenDocument

Please post a close-up of the clutch cover and the air filter cover.

Looking at your picture of the coil in the starter housing, it looks like you have 52E. The coil on the 52E is round and the plug wire comes out at the top side of the coil and faces the rear of the saw. If I remember correctly, the smaller wire was molded into the coil and went down to a contact button in the starter housing.

The coil of the 52 has a flange at the lower side of the coil. The plug wire comes out of the coil on the top side of the coil, and faces towards the front of the saw. The smaller wire that leads to the button is connected to the coil by means of a stud on the coil and a nut.

As for the fuel line, many 52 series did have a fitting threaded into the case, so, I'm not too worried about that.

Looking at the pictures, there is little question in my mind that you have a 52E. This is actually a good thing. The 52E is more dificult to find than the 52. Beware of the ignition module under the flywheel. They do go bad, and they are extremely scarce.

If interested, I could E-Mail you the page from the 52, 52E parts book which shows both coils. You can reach me at [email protected]

Looking at your picture of the coil in the starter housing, it looks like you have 52E. The coil on the 52E is round and the plug wire comes out at the top side of the coil and faces the rear of the saw. If I remember correctly, the smaller wire was molded into the coil and went down to a contact button in the starter housing.

The coil of the 52 has a flange at the lower side of the coil. The plug wire comes out of the coil on the top side of the coil, and faces towards the front of the saw. The smaller wire that leads to the button is connected to the coil by means of a stud on the coil and a nut.

As for the fuel line, many 52 series did have a fitting threaded into the case, so, I'm not too worried about that.

Looking at the pictures, there is little question in my mind that you have a 52E. This is actually a good thing. The 52E is more dificult to find than the 52. Beware of the ignition module under the flywheel. They do go bad, and they are extremely scarce.

If interested, I could E-Mail you the page from the 52, 52E parts book which shows both coils. You can reach me at [email protected]

Motorsag,
Thanks for all the help. The coil is exactly as you describe for the 52E, manufactured by SEM, part no. 100 196 00. The plug is the correct Bosch WS7F, as listed on Mike Acres site and not the Champion CJ7Y as listed for the 49SP. Mike's site list manufacture dates for the 52E as 1971-1982. I think this includes the 52 as there is no other listing for it. Can you help pin it down? My saw does not have a chain brake, but only a plastic guard. Do you know what year they put chain brakes on? Also, have you seen a 52/52E set up with 3/8" pitch chain? Mike's site lists .325" only. Also can you comment on the general differences between the 49SP and 52/52E? It seems odd that 2 different models of the same displacement and almost identical specs would be marketed simultaneously. Was one considered better than the other, like 025/026 Stihls or 350/351 Huskys? Can the jugs and pistons be interchanged?
Thanks again.

Hi Bruiser,

A very close friend of mine was the first Jonsereds dealer in Pennsylvania about 30 years ago. He once told me that the 49sp was produced as a "price leader". There are many small differences between the 52 and the 49sp. The biggest difference is the ignition systems. The 52 has a primary coil under the flywheel and the secondary coil in the starter housing. The 49sp has only the one coil mounted to the side of the cylinder. Jonsereds trimed some of the little things off of the 52 to bring the price down. My friend tells me it worked, for, he tells me he sold hundreds of the 49sp.

I'm told the cylinders are not interchangable. It has something to do with the machining of the base of the cylinders and cranckcases. Don't try it !

The only real difference between the 52 and 52E is the ignition. If I recall, the chain brake was optional. Some of the early 50 series models had a chain brake with a switch. Once activated, it not only stopped the chain, the switch turned the engine off.

I will look into the chain pitch question. If you ever need parts, I should have just about anything you'd ever need for that saw, new or used. That is of course except for the ignition module !!

Back