Help with Flowering Dogwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holograham

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for help diagnosing this Flowering Dogwood. See attached pictures. Located in Northern NJ. Pictures take August 30th.

Attachments

• IMG_9249.jpg
    IMG_9249.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9248.jpg
    IMG_9248.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9247.jpg
    IMG_9247.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9245.jpg
    IMG_9245.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9246.jpg
    IMG_9246.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Yes looking for some help to diagnose it / treat it. Any suggestions?
I'm not an arborist, just another homeowner.
I'm guessing a lot of the members are enjoying the holiday weekend, but someone will be by soon to help you.

My opinion? I see two things - physical damage by possibly a mower and there may also be an issue with the mulch being too deep and too close to the base of the trunk.

@ATH would know.

Thanks - yes saw that previous wound. No idea how this wound could have happened. It has a large mulch ring around it and no mower gets close.

Could be rot from moisture accumulation in that crotch where the two trunks come together... but it looks like something hit it or cut it also.

I'm just guessing.

I'd certainly evacuate to see where the trunk flare is.

How dry is it there? My Pagoda dogwood dropped a lot of leaves this week from being too hot/dry. I didn't notice in time to water it. I did water now, to keep it alive, but those leaves are gone.

I'd certainly evacuate to see where the trunk flare is.

How dry is it there? My Pagoda dogwood dropped a lot of leaves this week from being too hot/dry. I didn't notice in time to water it. I did water now, to keep it alive, but those leaves are gone.
It hasnt been too dry. I actually was worried the opposite - I may have overwatered it. I have a sprinkler system on the lawn.

Yeah...keep digging. That isn't quite the pronounced flare we are looking for. Some of those little roots around the trunk will turn into girdling roots putting pressure on the trunk as the tree and roots both grow, so cut them.

The damaged area. Look closer, or get a closer pic...are there scratches in there? Wondering if a squirrel or rabbit chewed on the tree down there. For some reason it seems like squirrels like dogwoods. We've chewing damage on several.

Yeah...keep digging. That isn't quite the pronounced flare we are looking for. Some of those little roots around the trunk will turn into girdling roots putting pressure on the trunk as the tree and roots both grow, so cut them.

The damaged area. Look closer, or get a closer pic...are there scratches in there? Wondering if a squirrel or rabbit chewed on the tree down there. For some reason it seems like squirrels like dogwoods. We've chewing damage on several.
We definitely have tons of squirrels and they do climb the tree frequently. Havent noticed them in this spot though.

Here are the close up pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_9273.jpeg
    IMG_9273.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9272.jpeg
    IMG_9272.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9271.jpeg
    IMG_9271.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
This is an old wound also, probably happened same time as the other one. It just looked different to me because of the rot.
dogwood2 cropped.jpg
Did you plant this tree and when was the mulch applied?
I've never seen a dogwood like this one - it's all branches and no trunk.

Latest posts

Back