hey millers 'n' rippers, what is the art to fine tuning yer saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberturner

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i understant that the long sustained, not to mention with the grain cuts

are what, i've heard 3,4,up to 6 times as hard on the saw, and i want to be a student of this as i have cooked two pistons in less than 1.5 hours of use ( i might laugh about that one day)

but only if i develop an ear for what to listen for

i'll find someone to work with me once i get up and runnin'

but until then, i'd love to hear some written terms and discussion about what to listen for (mixture wise) and i will try to keep up as a laymen 'da best i can

yeah - sorry to hear about your ordeal with the 066 and your dealership. Dont let it lay there though - call stihl and find a new dealer.

Milling is hard on a saw - but heck, people do it everywhere and the stuff holds up fine. Run full synthetic at 32:1 and open the muffler (alot) and if everything else is fine youre good for hundreds if not thousands of hours of milling with a good saw

PS. I would dump the stihl and buy a husky for the milling:D (cant seem to help myself):)

also, should you grease the sprocket every day ?

as far as my personal, why did i go with stihl over husky decision,

i was told by a stihl dealer that one of the reasons stihl was the one to go with was cuz of the double ring piston

as opposed to the husky guy who didn't seem to know ????, not even sure he worked there

reason #2 wuz cuz dat's what malloff used

as it turns out i probably could've gotten more wood cut with a toystore special

live and learn if you don't die first

Re: also, should you grease the sprocket every day ?

Originally posted by timberturner

i was told by a stihl dealer that one of the reasons stihl was the one to go with was cuz of the double ring piston

well, not to dwell over but my husky 372 and even the midget 136 both have double ring pistons. Furthermore - I'm not convinced that its really that much better to have dual rings or even worse!

Hey TT, just keep in mind that :alien: ??????? just enjoys every opportunity to insult Stihl owners and he loves to gloat whenever he hears about someone having a problem with a Stihl. Unlike those of us who wish to help, he only wants to make you feel worse about an unfortunate situation. Many here have put him on ignore to escape the never-ending broken record. :(

Originally posted by treeclimber165
just enjoys every opportunity to insult Stihl owners and he loves to gloat whenever he hears about someone having a problem with a Stihl.

oh gimme a break! i have not insulted any stihl OWNERS here - if they have taken it personally - well that has never been the intention - except in your case of course. If you would read back you would note that I recommended that timberturner should contact Stihl and find a new dealer.

Unlike those of us who wish to help, he only wants to make you feel worse about an unfortunate situation. Many here have put him on ignore to escape the never-ending broken record. :( [/B]

You seem very thin skinned every time there is a problem with anything that has to do with stihl. Every manufacturers product incurs a problem now and again - opinions are like a$$holes and as we know everyone has got one - yours is different from mine and I'm very happy with mine so put me on your ignore list already PLEASE:eek:

timberturner: search this site for carb tuning tricks and tips and you will do much better than this thread is giving at present.

Latest posts

Back