HF Chain Grinder Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The inherent issue with the HF grinders is they are cheaply made and thermo plastic is prone to flex, I'd never consider buying one when there are much better alternatives that don't need modified out there. I'm cheap but not that cheap. The other more important issue is the bastard sized wheels.

I should add that one, I don't use vitrified wheels at all, only plasma coated CBN wheels that are coated on aluminum discs so zero imbalance and they never need dressed, just cleaned infrequently and will last many, many loops. In fact, I've run well in the excess of 150 20" loops to date and the wheels look like new.

and.. I have 2 chain grinders, one is the Tecomec / Oregon grinder and the other is an Amazonian special, aka: Vevor that is the exact copy of the Tecomec / Oregon grinder right down to the motor and chain vise and it was just under 100 bucks with free shipping. I will say the Vevor has a better depth stop than the Oregon has and I don't run the clunky shields on either as CBN wheels don't explode so they are not needed. The pivots on the Vevor are tight and there is no slop in them at all (I do keep both of them oiled anyway). Don't buy the bad reviews on the Vevor as whomever posted them is brain dead. I'm here to tell you none of them are even remotely accurate. I have a wide surface CBN wheel in the Vevor and all I do with it is set the rakers. It's canted over 60 degrees for that.
You totally right.
Shortly after buying the cheap mini grinder I found a better one for only a few bucks more.
In canada the princess auto tecomec/oregon clone is even cheaper then than the vevor off amazon.
I dont sharpen that many chains so im ok with the cheapie grinder for now.

In HF's defense, they do offer quality tools
Perhaps we can agree to disagree on this. Some of their stuff (not counting brand name merchandise they occasionally sell) is OK for certain uses.

Some is absolute junk.

I have a lot of ‘free’ tape measures, blue tarps, and magnetic bowls, due to coupons, and they are OK.

But I would never buy something I had to really rely on there.

Even these grinders (the start of this thread): if it was all I had, I could improve a dull or damaged chain. But there are so many better options, even for the same money.

Again: we can agree to disagree.

Philbert

They improved their cordless line, corded line, their generators, their toolboxes, icon hand tools, their floor jacks, and numerous other tool lines. Must be a hot seller.

I have seen a survey of different chain sharpener on you tube and the harbor freight scored midways with speed of cut and was overall mentioned with cost. I have one and pleased with the job it does for around the farm. I like HF myself.

I have seen a survey of different chain sharpener on you tube
I typically am skeptical of ‘Best XXX’ videos on YouTube, or in other articles or promotions.

Some are sponsored. Some reviewers get commissions if people follow links and buy. Some don’t seem to have any practical knowledge of the products evaluated. Sometimes, their scoring criteria is obscure.

Maybe the viewer / reader picks up a point or two to consider.

If you go back through this thread (18 pages, 345 posts !), I conducted a survey of ‘affordable’ chain grinders. At one point, I had 20 (!), counted, not estimated, grinders in my basement or garage. Sometimes, more than one of certain models.

The HF grinder came out dead last. Poor quality construction, poor grinding wheels, etc. The only advantage was ‘cheapest price’ (especially, with coupon!).

I compared them side-by-side (details in the thread posts, above).

I realize that not everyone is going to read the entire thread, or agree with me. My current recommendation, for a ‘cheap grinder’ is the Forester 04844, 4-1/4” grinder (about $65), replacing the standard, fine, red / brown wheels with the coarser, pink, Forester FOR75710 wheels (about $12 for a set of 2).

This grinder is reportedly, and appears to be, identical to the Oregon 310-120 grinder.

IMG_5151.jpeg
IMG_5152.jpeg

For those in the US Midwest, I can often get those, together, for $60, on sale at Menards.

Yes, ‘twice as much’, but only $30 more.

Still a ‘cheap grinder’, but a HUGE improvement in quality and performance.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back