Home made wood splitter table...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone made a table or platform around your splitter to help with wood handling? Splitting wood just kills my back worse than anything else. I was thinking about making a plywood table around my horizontal splitter to keep the wood up at a better working height. I might try loading rounds in my bobcat bucket and setting it up near thigh height, and rolling them out onto the table and splitter. Then I could throw the split pieces into a pallet box while the splitter is returning. Just an idea right now.

How do you other guys save your backs? Looking for pics or ideas, I got a lot of wood to split, and I don't want to be laid up with a hurt back when deer season starts.

I stack a ramp out of the split pieces and roll the big boys up. I let a pile of splits build on the oppisite side to catch the pieces from dropping to the ground.

I welded together a stand out of scrap metal. I included a trailer hitch ball so that I can lock the splitter into the stand. I had to cut the axles off the splitter and install a riser too.
The tables slide onto pins that are welded to the stand. This was to make it lighter for moving it around. The offside table is set a about a 30 degree angle to keep the splits from falling off and or out of reach. The work side table is flat so I can put bigger pieces yet to be split off to the side while I whittle down the piece that fell of te offside. That way I only have to bend over once, maybe twice depending on the size of the piece.

I can't find the pictures I took of it but getting the splitter to waist level and having tables on both sides of the wedge make a HUGE difference. Before, my back was cooked after 30-45 minutes(deck was about 8" off ground). I can now split for a few hours or until I get bored.

I welded together a stand out of scrap metal. I included a trailer hitch ball so that I can lock the splitter into the stand. I had to cut the axles off the splitter and install a riser too.
The tables slide onto pins that are welded to the stand. This was to make it lighter for moving it around. The offside table is set a about a 30 degree angle to keep the splits from falling off and or out of reach. The work side table is flat so I can put bigger pieces yet to be split off to the side while I whittle down the piece that fell of te offside. That way I only have to bend over once, maybe twice depending on the size of the piece.

I can't find the pictures I took of it but getting the splitter to waist level and having tables on both sides of the wedge make a HUGE difference. Before, my back was cooked after 30-45 minutes(deck was about 8" off ground). I can now split for a few hours or until I get bored.

I would like to see your setup. I've been thinking about something like you've mention.

Mine works great !

Hello,
I welded up one for my splitter out of pipe......about 1 inch in diameter. I also used 1 1/2" angle iron. To hold it on the splitter , I welded two 1/8" plates that had a space between them, just a little wider than the thickness of the center web of my beam. I welded them to the back end of the table and slid it in over the web. Then I welded on a tab, drilled a hole through it and tapped a piece of metal on the front of the beam so I could bolt the table on. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures on here and then I would show it to you. Or if you want to send me your e-mail address, I'll send you the pics !!!!

Henry and Wanda

Hello,
I welded up one for my splitter out of pipe......about 1 inch in diameter. I also used 1 1/2" angle iron. To hold it on the splitter , I welded two 1/8" plates that had a space between them, just a little wider than the thickness of the center web of my beam. I welded them to the back end of the table and slid it in over the web. Then I welded on a tab, drilled a hole through it and tapped a piece of metal on the front of the beam so I could bolt the table on. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures on here and then I would show it to you. Or if you want to send me your e-mail address, I'll send you the pics !!!!

Henry and Wanda

Find any post by "Steve NWWI" He has it listed in his sig on how to post pics, And we all like pics here on AS.:clap:

Beefie

Find the pics, We want pics , we want pics , we want pics:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Beefie

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here you go guys, my work is crude but functional...
I broke the work side flat table by dropping a huge pine round on it. So for now I am using the metal stand in the photos.

Splitter specs, American splitter my Grandpa bought 26 years ago. Used to be 5HP 11GPM. It is now 11HP 16GPM, pump from Northern, motor from a snowblower. And as you can see, hacked a bit by me to get it more usable.

Other than the table, the best way to save your back is to get the splitter to a height where you are stand straight rather than bending over the whole time. If you have larger rounds that are hard to lift to this new height, noodle them. Key is to keep your back straight.

:cheers:

I was going to build one for mine but I do split vertically to size the big stuff down so I wanted something that would be quick and easy to take off if I wanted to. I just stand 2 rounds under the tail of the splitter and shove a small pallet (around 30x40") under there. The pallet sits on the rounds and is held from being knocked or tipped over by the I beam. I usually put 2/3 of it over by the engine to catch stuff as its split (and protect the engine) and leave a third of it for me to hold extra large pieces for re-splits. I just lean against it to keep them from falling off. next time I have it setup I'll grab a picture. It's cheap, free and lightweight. you just need to bring the small pallet with you if you move around.

Other than the table, the best way to save your back is to get the splitter to a height where you are stand straight rather than bending over the whole time. If you have larger rounds that are hard to lift to this new height, noodle them. Key is to keep your back straight.

:cheers:

:agree2: Good advice!

I just stacked a few free pallets next to the splitter and tacked some leftover OSB to the top, it is strong and...free.

I threw one together out of old lumber. Just the height of the splitter with a slot in the table for the splitter to fit into. The table sort of surrounds the splitter like a "U". About a foot wide on each side of the splitter and the main top of the table about 3 feet square. Only took a few minutes, cost virtually nothing, and is really handy. If I warn't so dumb I would taker a pic and post it for ya.

Great ideas and pics. Thanks guys. I'm going to mess with the splitter setup this weekend, and see what combination I can get to work. I think I'll start by raising the splitter up to a better height, and build a table surrounding it. I think together with a few beers and a couple buddies we can engineer something that works. I've got plenty of raw materials to work with. Steel, pallets, salvaged lumber, big huge rounds left over from last year, a welder, a bobcat, some gravel....I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I was going to build one for mine but I do split vertically to size the big stuff down so I wanted something that would be quick and easy to take off if I wanted to. I just stand 2 rounds under the tail of the splitter and shove a small pallet (around 30x40") under there. The pallet sits on the rounds and is held from being knocked or tipped over by the I beam. I usually put 2/3 of it over by the engine to catch stuff as its split (and protect the engine) and leave a third of it for me to hold extra large pieces for re-splits. I just lean against it to keep them from falling off. next time I have it setup I'll grab a picture. It's cheap, free and lightweight. you just need to bring the small pallet with you if you move around.
finally got around to taking a picture while I split half a cord tonight
attachment.php

attachment.php

Any body thought about building a table that raises and lowers with a scissors lift type of lift?:confused::confused:This what I would like to build.

Pete

Back