Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Three shoe clutch. Got very mean with my BFH and got him off.

Has an Oregon 37462 spur drum on him but, I prefer a rim drive.

I have the third edition, and , now the fourth.

Thanks bud.

My Oregon products catalog shows #37458 as the rim drive drum 'system' (footnoted as being without bearing). That's a different number than the 'system' for the 6 shoe clutch saws. The bearing for both SXL-925 clutch styles (as well as all the XL12/SXL saws except for the EARLY ones with the 1/2" crank snout) is #11807.

thanks everyone for the help. got that C5 started tonight. really like that saw. just need a new chain and then to tune the carb. will get the chain monday. will try to post some pix monday as well.

so since its been over thirty years since i broke a saw in i'm kinda out of practice.
what's the best way to break in these new rings, etc. for a long life?

bump

This was posted on another site,So I thought I post it here.;)

Knot Bumper said:
Ever feel the urge to dig a trench with your chainsaw?

This is an attachment for your Super XL-12 that is designed just for digging trenches. I was told that these are commonly seen in equipment rental fleets. It digs a narrow trench, about 1 1/2" wide, just right for plastic irrigation pipe.

I have to install some pipe in my front yard soon, I'll post a video of this beast in action when I dig the trenches.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice 2000 Roland. Wish i could help with the starter.
I believe they're some on ebay.
The 2100, 1050, 1130 and many others will interchange.
As long as they use the dog's on the flywheel and not the
over run bearing type.
Lee

Roland a starter assembly from an XP1020, 1050, XP1130, 1130G, 2100, 3100G, or LATE C-72 (two pawl starter style) would work fine on that saw.

One bit to add is the starter cup on 2100 and 3100 saws is a little longer than on the other models mentioned. Otherwise everything else is pretty much the same. If you get a 2100/3100 starter, you can always find the shorter cup and replace it on the starter pulley. Nice 2000!

Dan

I bought a homelite 8800 for 50 bucks today. Its missing the chain cover and the spark plug hole is stripped out due to someone cross threading it. Is it worth fixing? Could anyone share any info on it, how many cc's is it, whats the hp rating? I dont know anything about it, any info or advice will be appreciated. Thank you

I bought a homelite 8800 for 50 bucks today. Its missing the chain cover and the spark plug hole is stripped out due to someone cross threading it. Is it worth fixing? Could anyone share any info on it, how many cc's is it, whats the hp rating? I dont know anything about it, any info or advice will be appreciated. Thank you

5.4ci/88cc. It's an improved Homelite 540. It's certainly worth fixing.

Model Profile: 540

As far as i know cylinders are pretty hard to find for them. I would part it out as a parts saw. Still didnt do to bad for 50 big ones!

Ok, thanks for the tip folks. I'll have a look on the evilbay first...

I have one. Hit me up with a PM if you need it. I am actually heading over the pond to Denmark this weekend, although I would be afraid to take it on the plane with me. They might think I am trying to hijack the plane with a Homelite starter... lol.

From what I can tell it has good compression, but dont know exactly what it is cause I can't get a gauge screwed into it. Where would I get a chain cover and how much are they? I plan to get it running and keep it, but what is it worth once its running?

From what I can tell it has good compression, but dont know exactly what it is cause I can't get a gauge screwed into it. Where would I get a chain cover and how much are they? I plan to get it running and keep it, but what is it worth once its running?

You may look into some of the machinist here on AS? They may be able to fix up the threads for ya!
Not sure on a price? 200 for a saw with that kind of repair to the cylinder.

As far as i know cylinders are pretty hard to find for them. I would part it out as a parts saw. Still didnt do to bad for 50 big ones!

You may look into some of the machinist here on AS? They may be able to fix up the threads for ya!
Not sure on a price? 200 for a saw with that kind of repair to the cylinder.

That cylinder can probably be saved with a threaded repair insert. It may even clean up with a thread chaser. I'd say he did pretty good for $50, and I wouldn't part the saw out just yet. The part you're looking for is usually called a clutch cover BTW. They're on ebay from time to time. I believe a Homelite 540 clutch cover will work on your 8800 as wel.

Checking again..
Anyone got homelite 6 cube rings? (1020-200-3100 etc)
Used would be fine!

Young Jacob, a 200 is a 30-something cc member of the XL2/Super2 family, and the 3100 is a seven cube Homelite gear drive. Rings for either saw (or a seven cube Homelite 2000 if that's what you meant to type) won't work for you. You're looking for rings for a XP1000/XP1020/1050/XP1100/XP1130/1130G 6.1ci/100cc Homelte. You can get NOS rings on feebay for around $20 or so plus shipping. You can also get Caber rings from "the Greek" on feebay for something like $15 shipped....

Last edited:
That cylinder can probably be saved with a threaded repair insert. It may even clean up with a thread chaser. I'd say he did pretty good for $50, and I wouldn't part the saw out just yet. The part you're looking for is usually called a clutch cover BTW. They're on ebay from time to time. I believe a Homelite 540 clutch cover will work on your 8800 as wel.

Young Jacob, a 200 is a 30-something cc member of the XL2/Super2 family, and the 3100 is a seven cube Homelite gear drive. Rings for either saw (or a seven cube Homelite 2000 if that's what you meant to type) won't work for you. You're looking for rings for a XP1000/XP1020/1050/XP1100/XP1130/1130G 6.1ci/100cc Homelte. You can get NOS rings on feebay for around $20 or so plus shipping. You can also get Caber rings from "the Greek" on feebay for something like $15 shipped....

Doh! My bad!
i seen them rings on evilbay. But thought they were kind of steep.
What is this "the greek" you speak of? I didnt see them? Have a link?

I have one. Hit me up with a PM if you need it. I am actually heading over the pond to Denmark this weekend, although I would be afraid to take it on the plane with me. They might think I am trying to hijack the plane with a Homelite starter... lol.

Thanks for trying to help out...it is appreciated. I hit the trigger on a Ebay 1050 starter assy already, the cost was not too bad after all. If you happen to be in europe (Denmark is not too far away), hop in for a belgian beer :cheers:

Last edited:
925 piston problem

I have a 925 brought to me that was locked up. The guy said i could take the spark plug out and drive the piston down with a punch, i asked him to leave it :msp_ohmy:. Took off the muffler off and found that part of or i will say the left side of the piston from top to bottom has a very bad scoring problem but the right side looks fine. Is this refered to as caused by carbon getting the process of scoring in the one spot like this? The air filter was not in place correct and had let in lots of sawdust. The real question is where can i find a parts to repair this otherwise great looking saw? I did get the piston moving again but not with a punch.

I have a 925 brought to me that was locked up. The guy said i could take the spark plug out and drive the piston down with a punch, i asked him to leave it :msp_ohmy:. Took off the muffler off and found that part of or i will say the left side of the piston from top to bottom has a very bad scoring problem but the right side looks fine. Is this refered to as caused by carbon getting the process of scoring in the one spot like this? The air filter was not in place correct and had let in lots of sawdust. The real question is where can i find a parts to repair this otherwise great looking saw? I did get the piston moving again but not with a punch.

Either foreign material got through the carb, or the saw was running on bad fuel (straight gas).

Best bet to repair is to find a used saw to donate the parts you need. They sometimes show up on Ebay where a tree was dropped on them, but the piston and cylinder are still good. Just be patient.

Carl's advice here is good for 'most' old saws when looking for coils. However, the 350/360/450/550/650/750 Homelites have a unique ignition setup that I don't think was used by any other manufacturer. Others may have used that 'style' (coil pack on top of the spark plug), but I don't believe anyone else used those exact parts. I think you're limited to the '50 series' Homelites when looking for a replacement coil pack. Why do you believe that you need a replacement?

LOL. The ranch owner and I are both kicking ourselves for not taking any "before the cutting" pictures. That big 'ol oak fell on the fence and smashed it down (on it's own......before we got near it with the saws). We bucked the whole thing up. Unfortunately, we didn't take any pics until the cutting was just about done.....:bang:

P1010427.jpg

P1010428.jpg

Here are a couple more "after" pics.....

Twas the reason the previous owner gave in regards to why it didn't run. He had a couple of Partner cut-off saws also and seemed to have a good grasp on the mechanical world with all the other toys he had. He has a 5.9 Cummins he runs on both bio and waste oil.....interesting and knowledgeable guy!!

Great pictures of the oak tree buck up!! What model/year is the old flat fender ranch jeep?? :rock::msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
SXL-925 tank line.

What have you all been using for an in tank fuel line for an XL-925? PN 65593A

Found one on evilbay at 19 USD.........Yikes!

I need two. One for the 925 and another to replace my cobbled up mess on the XL-800.

Carl.

Back