homelite lil' red oiler problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwinkel

Reaction score
my homelite chainsaw runs well, starts well, but the chain oiler quit. i was informed it was a problem with the rings not seating properly during the breakin period and now there is not enough air pressure generated in compression to push the oil. any comments or fixes would be welcome.

I'm not sure even the designer knows how it works, but the little Homelite's oiler is operated by a combination of diaphragms, duckbill valves, and about 25 hoses. Something in that mess is the cause of the problem.

Your saw wouldn't run if the rings were bad enough to stop the oiler from working.

John in MA is right. The oiler has nothing to do with the rings. Who ever gave you this advice is not fit to give jumping lessons to a frog! That little saw has so many hoses that it makes the garden department of Sears look inadequate. Trace them all down and figure which is cracked or broken or which has a duck bill missing from its end. You might consider getting rid of it and getting a saw worthy of the time you might spend working on it. If any of you lunkheads comes to the saws defense I will sell all four that I have to you for $15 each. Mike

Originally posted by rupedoggy
.....If any of you lunkheads comes to the saws defense I will sell all four that I have to you for $15 each. Mike

It took you FOUR to figure that out? Why in God's name would you have FOUR???? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

because it's a disease, once you start collecting power tools, cars, boats, bikes etc............ you can't stop. You finally give in and seek out group therapy.........like this forum!
Bill

oiler

Check for the duckbill valve in the end of the hose that is just inside the top of the oil tank. Replace it first, has fixed a few.
If not. pull the motor out of the case, it is the only way to work on it. Check and replace any oiler hoses that are soft or pull off the nipples easily. I believe the pump is under the sprocket, but not driven off the crank. You may be able to remove without clutch removale, but it will be easier with it out of there. Clean everything and replace the diaphragm if it looks bad. Reassemble and pray.

To try & answer your Q's...If it has the 'Adjustable Oiler', make sure the dial is pointed to the Max position. If you have to open up the saw plan on yanking the 'adjuster' and runing the tubing direct. Next... check to see the oil cap is sealing the pressure in the tank then check for pin holes in the tubing. Last, but least lkiely there is the 'pump' under the carb.
PS..I can send you a diagram of the tubing 'tangle' if you need it.

Rupedoggy, I told a friend of mine that I could make his little red run......I was wrong. The saw has good spark and 140 psi compression. I carefully cleaned the carb and the best it will do after priming the wee-wee out of it is to "run" for 20 seconds and quit...how would you like to own FIVE of them? Or maybe if we collected a bunch of these we could use them for skeet shooting a Clearwater '03. You know, in combination with the chainsaw toss, team would compete for points based on longest throw combined with most times it was shot before it hit the ground, sounds like great fun.

My neighbor had one that would try to run, but wouldn't rev up enough to spin the chain. After checking all the basics, I gave up. A week later I looKed at it again. The exhaust screen was plugged and the outlet was tiny. I threw away the screen and pryed open the outlet with a prydriver. Now it runs great, surprising power. For how long, I dunno. It is a Homelite, after all.

Sedanman & others
If you are going to work on the older little HOMELITES you have to be prepared to pressure test the housing to look for an air leak. Usually when they get a lot of hours they can develop an air leak around the crank when the seals begin to fail. An easy 'feel' for how worn they have gotten is to see how much side play the crank has. The fix is not expensive $20+/- in parts (thrust washers & seals & maybe a piston ring and its back to 95%. Be sure carefully seal with the crankcase with RTV. Should take less than an hour to do it.

Lil' red oiler

thanks for all the replys on the oiler problem. i have cleaned out the hose from the oil tank to the chain but there seems to be a lot more to it. it's a low mileage saw and runs well so i'll give it a go on finding out where the real prblem is. i cut about 3 cords a year and will be looking into a stihl but if the oiler gets working, the homelite will be an ok back up.

Latest posts

Back