How Do You Carry A Saw on the Trail?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bystander

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been doing some trail maintenance around our neighborhood. No problem toting the saw around by its handle. Later on I may be working trails at a nearby park. The saw will have to be carried up to 4 miles. What's the easy way to do that? Some sort of shoulder strap and a carabiner that clicks onto the saw loop? Stick it bar up in a day pack on your back? Thanks in Advance, Dave

Hi Dave, I use to believe that hand fallers who packed chainsaws over their shoulder were just puting on an act, but alas, I have never really packed a saw over a mile, but I just trade the saw left for right under my arm braced on the hip. Any long travel with a saw should be with a barless powerhead unless the bar is 16". Long bar saws tire even the most toughest men unless on flat meadows.
John

saw tote

Have you tried to use an old golf bag with wheels??? I take it you are not using a three or four wheeler? I like the Honda 350 but some places they don't want you on wheels because too many guys have a tendancy to hotdog down the trail.

A golf bag can hold a lot of stuff, like a few extra tools and an old one you can get cheap at the flea market.

I typically just put it in the back of the truck, get in and turn the key. When I get where I'm going, my saw is right there in the back of the truck!:D :rolleyes:

Seriously, though. How big of a saw are you toting? Another situation where bigger isn't always better....
I'd probably tote a small climbing size saw. 90% of the stuff you will do can be done easiest with a small saw. If you get a big tree fallen, you can brush it out then come back later with a bigger saw for the big wood. More than likely, this won't happen very often. An 020T can cut 18" wood easily with a properly sharpened chain. I cut up to 15" hardwood with my Echo 3400 regularly.

A long time ago I volunteered to help clean up some trails after a big storm had come through a church camp...as it turned out, there was about 2 1/2 miles of trails under mostly medium sized hardwoods, a lot of them laying down. Three other guys and myself, two chain saws and two helpers, and one wheel barrow.

Worked pretty well, saving backs for more important work.

when I was having to pack my saw, we usually had equip around...ie:helicopter....flew into lots of pads...but I always, and yes I know its not right...packed my saw...powerhead behind me...bar on right shoulder..and right hand balancing it...shoulder takes the weight...sometimes for a mile ...but never more...then we would cut a new helipad...

saw on the trail

Hi Bystander,I wish I could give good advice here,but walking 4 mi. would be a hike not to mention working with a saw and lugging it also.What about fuel and bar oil? I have a small tool box that comes in handy-tightening chain etc.If your luck is like mine,You'll need the very thing that was left a mile back.I'd get a 4 wheeler (4 stroke)so I could carry my Junk.The 4 wheelers can also suprise you with the size of logs they can drag away.Good luck. Mikey.

A back pack is the way to go. And a 1 gallon gas can, and a quart or two of bar oil.

I've done some ski trail clearing in the back country. Once we gladed a 1500 vertical area with slopes up to 40 degrees. There were eight of us, and about six of my small saws.

My 2 cents, If an atv was available I'd insist that it was used. If any member of the party were hurt, the atv would get them out a lot faster than hiking back out, which could be impossible depending on the injury. If the injurered cannot be moved then someone else could quickly get him'her help with the atv. Hiking into the wood with chainsaws requires at least three people, assume one gets hurt then one can stay to help if needed and one can go get help. I don't mean to sound like the voice of doom here but a little preparation could keep an accident from becoming a tragedy.

Good points so far!

Thanks to all who have replied so far. Maybe others can offer advice as well. I'll talk with the organizers about ATV availability. I'll need to hike the trail to see where mechanical assistance will be needed, and then plan the easiest way to get it there. Staying in a group makes sense since there will be other duties like brushcutting in addition to the safety advantages. The saw is a Husky 350. In addition to its weight (about 14 pounds wet & with bar/chain) I'll keep fuel, oil, sharpening gear, and safety items in mind. If weather is cool the pants won't be a problem. There are shorter trails as well; good idea to start with them to sort out logistics. Regards, Dave

I took an old wheelbarrow where the tub had rusted out and rebuilt it using 3/4" plywood so it looks like the "old type", only without sides. Its great for hauling logs out of the thicket to my truck as well as lugging the works any distance into the woods. It also comes in handy around the house for moving split wood, bags of fertilizer, etc...

The guys I've seen with the National Park Service that have to do that use old GI pack frames with a shelf. They would strap the saw on with the bar pointing up over their shoulder, then strap gas, and bar oil next to it. Hands free to swat mosquitos.:D

Just watch out for low limbs that may snag the bar.:eek:

Louie Hampton

After doing trail work at Scout camp for a few years my setup is an old pack frame with a small canvas bag to hold the gas, oil, files, ect. A 16" saw is either bungi-corded to the packframe bottom or slung on my shouler with a 2" belt. 16" handles nearly everything, it just may take longer on the big stuff. Use a bar guard!

Navy Duffle bag

Being a shellback I use these to haul big stuff around in a hike over a mile. wrap the bar/chain in an old beach towel. The diameter of the duffle bag is about 2 feet and is about 4 feet tall. Has shoulder straps.:D

I was too young to do much serious carrying, but my Grandfather & I would walk almost 3 1/2 miles to the hunt camp every spring and fall to do a little cleanup, and restock the wood pile. He used to use a hard frame pack to carry the gas, oil, and some canned food & clothes. The saw was in a canvas, fitted bag, and on a shoulder sling. I can't remember the type, but it is safe to say, saws were heavier then. I know J-red offered a fitted cloth bag in their 2001 catalog that looks quite similar.

Oh, and in case any were wondering, I carried the axe, wedges, ropes, rifle (and/or fishing gear) and my own personables. Good times now that I think of it, thanks for joggin' my memory!

Latest posts

Back