how much for an 051??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Willock

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i have a friend that has an old 051 that still runs but needs starter work, i want it just for collecting purposes. what do ya'll think its worth??? its in good shape as for cosmetics and has bar and chain

paid about that for mine and it runs so far - lots of torque, but needs an 8 or 9 tooth sprocket at 3/8 to really cut.

it really depends on the overall condition - its an old babe!

what do ya'll think for the longest possible bar and still have good power??? not that i will do that just might have to play with it some:D although mainly for collecting:rolleyes:

maybe a 28" with still great torque, but the speed is not going to get any better - its a slow cuttinf saw but a very, very torquey one:)

.404 chain on a 051

I used full comp .404 chain on mine with a 25'' bar .... it handled it fine, even when using ALL the bar and lots of pull on the handle with a standard spocket... yes a bigger spocket would be nice on one....... you could go up to a 32'' very easily I think using 3\8 or even 36'' :)

I used to help out a faller out of Booneville Ca. jack some Redwood big mothers too and he had one with a 42" bar , but back then in the late 70s it was new so it had lots of power.

you can obviously pull the long bars with the 051 as it is a torquer. Going to the long lengths will require skip chain in my opinion - I dont think that one can get away with any more that 28" full comp, except maybe in loblolly pine...

this friend of mine is an old farmer (74) and he bought it new it '82
and hasn't used it a whole lot, its just old:D i was thinking maybe putting something like a 36'' on it for looks, what would be the correct style bar, by that i mean is one of the new ones the style lettering that they had on them back in '82:confused:

Originally posted by Ryan Willock
[B} i was thinking maybe putting something like a 36'' on it for looks [/B]

you might want to price those bars out unless you have access to one cheap - they are EXPENSIVE!! 088 bolt pattern bars work. They may be somewhat difficult to find also if you're looking for something in particular.

torque

The older saws are torquey! I think you will enjoy it my P50 Pioneer is a real torquer and I really enjoy it. I don't log just cut firewood so it does the job very nicely. Speed is good but you need some torque too.

i doubt it, but you may want to talk to jsikkema about a gb bar - he can supply for much more of a reasonable rate.

Back