Husky 2100 cracked case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marky Mark

Hell's Kitchen Trapper
Reaction score
I have two 2100's;

One has a good motor but it was run over about 5 years ago and has sat at my local guys shop. The other has a good case but a bad motor. Upon takening them apart I have discovered a crack in the good cases case. The one that has been run over also has a piece cracked off. Here are some pictures as to the mess I have.

This crack is towards the handle on the sprocket side.

Last edited:
Good motor case

Here is a shot of the good motor case, missing a piece on the lower left area of this picture. Is this worth working on or am I going to have to find another case??
Thanks

MkM, I made my living as a welder for 13 years. Believe me, I've welded more cracked aluminum heads, trolling motor mounts and every other kind of thing you might think of. Is the case aluminum or steel? Whatever it might be, grind out some material in a v-notch along the crack on both sides. Leave about 1/3 of material unground (center/mid point of joint). Wash/Clean the part as best you can. Take a stainless steel brush and really brush the crap out of the joint. This is critical, especially if aluminum. Have it welded up, grind it back down to the original surface if desired. should be about as good as new. Good Luck;)

Hi
Them ther saws aint worth fixen.LOL
I have some good 2100 cases if you need one,or I will take all that crap off your hands.
Later
Dan

Every decent saw housing made since the '50s is magnesium. Hit those cases with a welder and you'll be running for the sand bucket in short time.

Originally posted by John in MA
Every decent saw housing made since the '50s is magnesium. Hit those cases with a welder and you'll be running for the sand bucket in short time.

thats no lie - if you havent been blinded yet by the metal....

Remember that old tree-hit Homelite C-7 I posted about? Nickel-size chunks of housing tossed in the fireplace got visitors' attention last winter. :D

So you guys are saying the stihl cases are mag.? like on the 028 or 026?

magnesium welding

Hello marky mark,
There is no problem welding up magnesium cases. my welder does that type of repair all the time. you must be a accomplished tig welder and use the proper rod. jusrt cut the mounting piece off the one saw case and weld it to the other saw case.
ken

Back