husky 262xp,help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROGER.ALLEN

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi guys, i need some info,thinking about buying a husky 262xp from a guy, it`s in nice shape has 136 lbs. of comp.2 bars he wants $210.00,is that a deal?, and what saw does stihl make that is the same as a 262xp ,what does (xp) meaan, let me know all you can about this saw,

thanks
roger:rolleyes:

The 262 was the first Husky with air injection, the system for keeping air cleaners clean longer. It is a very good saw, and is surely worth $210 if the hours are fairly low. Look for wear on metal parts as a clue. Also, pull the muffler to check for scoring on the piston or cylinder. None is great, a little is probably ok... It is comparable to a 036 Stihl. A little heavier, power may be 4.6 hp which is what the current 362 has (pretty much the same saw, I think) The 362 can be had for about $530. Not much cheaper than the 372, but less power and same weight, so few people buy them.

XP means extra power, and designates their pro saws.

I believe it's approx mid 90's model 62 cc/3.8 c.i 4.8 hp and approx. 14 lbs, heavier than comparable Stihl's.

the 262xp is a tiny bit more powerful than a 036 at 4.42 hp and 12.5 llbs and less powerful than a 044 at 5.36 hp and 13.5 lbs.

Unfortunately can't help you with the compression. ;)

Be sure to take the advice on removing the muffler and looking at the side of the piston. These were 1 ring saws and am sarting to think they were weak on durability. I've got one in the shop now with the ring siezed in its groove.

I have not had vast experience with the pro Huskys that ran 1 ring but I have now seen three 262s and three 181s with piston/ring failure.

Back