Husky t540 convert to 3/8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel chode rider

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok I got another question.
I like my t540xp mk2 but the .325 chain just doesn't eat bigger wood like the 3/8 on my 201t. Plus, I can never seem to find .325 chain without the ****in safety raker, it's hard to get a good edge on at the jobsite, and I can get stihl chains for free.

A buddy told me he saw a video of a guy who converted his saw to 3/8, and to run a stihl 16" bar and chain. Anyone done that or got advice?

There is a sprocket/clutch drum assembly for both mini .325 and 3/8lp or the Stihl picco 3/8 on the parts sheets. No need to do anything with the oil pump drive same engagement prongs. The mini .325 or sp21 in Husqvarna is a faster cutting chain on the 540mk3 in my opinion. 7 tooth drive vs 6. Of course you need an appropriate bar. If you can get Stihl bars the 3005 ones can be made to work if the slot is lengthened, and new holes installed.

engagement prongs. The mini .325 or sp21 in Husqvarna is a faster cutting chain on the 540mk3 in my opinion. 7 tooth drive vs 6.

(7/6 * .325/.375) / 100 = 0.010(1) ≈ 1.01 %

I don't think so...

There is a sprocket/clutch drum assembly for both mini .325 and 3/8lp or the Stihl picco 3/8 on the parts sheets. No need to do anything with the oil pump drive same engagement prongs. The mini .325 or sp21 in Husqvarna is a faster cutting chain on the 540mk3 in my opinion. 7 tooth drive vs 6. Of course you need an appropriate bar. If you can get Stihl bars the 3005 ones can be made to work if the slot is lengthened, and new holes installed.
Gotcha... I want to use the chain on a 201 which I don't think is low profile or picco, but I digress, seems like it's possible. Thanks.
Is it tricky to mess with the stihl bars and get em to fit? Need a grinder I guess?

My guess would be the Stihl 201 comes with 63 pm3 If the chain model starts with a 6 it is picco in 3/8. If the model of chain starts with 7 it is picco in 1/4. Stihl likes loops in 44, 50, and 55 where Husky likes 45, 52 or 53, and 56. If someone doesn't have a milling machine, I would drill a 5/16 hole where they wanted the longer bar slot to end and then connect to that with a hacksaw and clean up with a file. The rails and near the spot welds are quite hard.

Latest posts

Back