Husqvarna 272XP recoil confusion.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2broke2ride

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have a question. I am pulling my hair out tryi.g to get ahold of the right recoil for my 272xp. I was under the impression that there where 2 different recoils, the one with the square sticker on the older 61s, 266s etc. Then the newer one on the 268 and 272. I have gotten 2 different aftermarket recoils, and neither of them are correct. They look right but the hub is too short to engage the starter pawls. I don't have my saw in front of me but it is dated 1997. The one I got yesterday was a farmertec and I crossed the part number from the IPL, it ended up being the same a s the generic one I got from Amazon last week.
Normally I just fix what I have but the housing is all broken and this saw isn't worth a new OE on lol.

Are the pulleys different or does it simply sit deeper in the cover? Maybe just a matter or swapping pulleys around. If nothing else, you'll learn something. Are the pawls flopping around too much?

You have to look on your old pulley. There is a part number on it 5031024 and then beside it is a sunburst with a arrow pointing to a number 1-6 maybe. That tells you which pulley you need on stater housing

272 had a "thicker" starter cover with the pulley having longer neck. Older 162-266 had shorter neck (5015 204 01 ). Check if your old starter had the the long neck. Your aftermarket are probably for the older 162-266 that were slimmer. Lay aftermarket starter on table and compare height with your original.

Latest posts

Back