Husqvarna 281xpg (1986 version) Clutch cover chain brake - help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Found myself an old Husqvarna 281XPG today.

But, the clutch cover/ chain brake is busted, or atleast missing more or less everything, except the metal handle itself.

My question is, this old version with metal handle/brake, is it possible to swap in a never version, with the plastic brake.

The old part nr is. 501 80 80-04 according to the IPL - and if I search this, the new version with plastic brake shows up.

Can anyone confirm this is a possible easy swap in?

Could save me a lot of time instead of trying to find every little piece missing, or even finding a complete old version chain brake.

See pictures! :reading:

Attachments

• 1000005021.jpg
    1000005021.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 1000005023.jpg
    1000005023.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 0
Yes- new plastic flag brakes/covers bolt straight on. They still make new ones in Brazil and a Husqvarna dealer should be able to get one for you.
The cheap aftermarket ones- are exactly that.

You wont find a new band for the old style anyhow- NLA and if you really really want one- you have to make one out of a bandsaw blade or similar.

Yep thanks!
Many small pieces are missing, like the brake band itself, and the spring, holder/retainer etc. Not sure if they can be found at a dealer anymore though.

An easy solution would be a newer version of the complete clutch cover, but I can't tell if it will fit or not.

Yep thanks!
Many small pieces are missing, like the brake band itself, and the spring, holder/retainer etc. Not sure if they can be found at a dealer anymore though.

An easy solution would be a newer version of the complete clutch cover, but I can't tell if it will fit or not.

Did you read my first reply- or just skip to the big shiny pictures?

Yes- new plastic flag brakes/covers bolt straight on. They still make new ones in Brazil and a Husqvarna dealer should be able to get one for you.

You wont find a new band for the old style anyhow- NLA and if you really really want one- you have to make one out of a bandsaw blade or similar.
Did you read my first reply- or just skip to the big shiny pictures?
I did exactly skip to the huge pictures indeed! :dumb:

I don't think I will do anymore than just find a dealer with a brand new, newer version clutch cover then.
Finding all those small missing parts is going to be a pain in the a.....

If I am lucky, I could find a used one somewhere....if anyone has one in the States ill pay to get it shipped over to Europe.
We don't see these old Husqvarna saws much here, at all.

and yea, I tend to find that cheap non oem parts are garbage, especially when it comes to the special things like sturdy build covers, oil pumps and the likes. Mostly only use Hyway and Meteor pistons for non oem parts.

Thank a lot for the reply! and for pointing out that I skipped the most important part of it :laugh:

Don’t some of the metal brake handle mufflers exit on to plastic brake handle as they changed outlet to direct away from plastic handle on those versions?? I know that was the case on 266 models

Don’t some of the metal brake handle mufflers exit on to plastic brake handle as they changed outlet to direct away from plastic handle on those versions?? I know that was the case on 266 models

Or if the deflector has fallen/rusted off....... melty flaggy vely quick!

Good point. ;)

I've been running a farmertec chainbrake for a couple years on my 288
Still works but used oem are available often
I've seen new oem chainbrakes for 118.00+

I've been running a farmertec chainbrake for a couple years on my 288
Still works but used oem are available often
I've seen new oem chainbrakes for 118.00+
I am sure they are, in the US

But here in little Denmark, there are hardly any available. And farmertec is not either.

If anyone wanna ship me a used one, im buying and paying the shipping cost.

But here in little Denmark, there are hardly any available. And farmertec is not either.

You can buy on Ali identical to those traded by Farmertec for twenty-some US dollars with shipping and VAT included.

It's is back together now, a little more clean.

Will do a second round of cleaning, once I know it wants to run.

After that, a ton of stuff needs to be replaced, most importantly is ofc the chain brake.

Fuel line, gaskets between cylinder/carb etc.

Wires for the heated handle were stripped and all the usual stuff along the way.

Most importantly, and probably why (I hope) it did not run, was a very clocked up micro filter inside the carb.
It was pure black stuff inside it, completely shut off from getting fuel through it.

The search for a usable chain brake starts!

Those brake bands are available and made in Ireland. I have 3 of them in use. They even fit the 2101 brakes. If you buy 2 the freight is less.

https://chainsawlawnmower.com/product/brake-band-for-husqvarna-266-501830201

Nice group there as well, have talked to them about making the older style for the 2100, etc.

Well, that link no longer works…I sent them an email.

Hi Everyone

Found myself an old Husqvarna 281XPG today.

But, the clutch cover/ chain brake is busted, or atleast missing more or less everything, except the metal handle itself.

My question is, this old version with metal handle/brake, is it possible to swap in a never version, with the plastic brake.

The old part nr is. 501 80 80-04 according to the IPL - and if I search this, the new version with plastic brake shows up.

Can anyone confirm this is a possible easy swap in?

Could save me a lot of time instead of trying to find every little piece missing, or even finding a complete old version chain brake.

See pictures! :reading:
The aftermarket brake covers work perfectly. I have one from Duke’s on my 288. It was not expensive. Get one and then sell me that one 😀
I have parts to rebuild them. Just did a 2101

Latest posts

Back