Husqvarna 330lk cat muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armosh

Functioning Idiot
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I picked up a 330LK for a great price to use the pole saw attachment. Came with a cat muffler that runs super hot and is very restrictive. I don't have a welder or a way to braze but was thinking I could drill a hole in it before the catalyst itself to let some of the heat out. Anyone attempt something like this before?

Have you looked for an aftermarket non cat muffler, they're available for most things & usually pretty cheap
Yeah that was the first thing I tried. I've had a couple saws where it is easier to find a cheap knockoff muffler that's just an empty can but no luck with this thing. The muffler on this thing is ridiculous, the exit hole is about the size of a pencil and then they put a deflector on top of it that makes it change directions twice more before it exits. Surprised it even runs lol.

Hopefully this might help someone that has one of these and wants to let it breathe better. I sacrificed $35.00 to learn this lol. The first pic with the red square is where you can drill to bypass the catalyst and let the heat out. The second pic is with it cut in half to get a better view. The green square is where the exhaust comes in from the cylinder so you can get an idea of where the drilled hole that is the red square would relate. You can see my first attempt on the right hand hole, right through the catalyst and ruined the muffler so I decided to cut it open and have a peek inside to learn what I could. These mufflers are crazy restrictive and worse than that run extremely hot.

Attachments

• 20240727_134347.jpg
    20240727_134347.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240727_134408.jpg
    20240727_134408.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back