Husqvarna vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll tell you, I LOVE Husqy 3 series saws, but if I get a new one, I’ll go through it with locktite, first thing.
You have had several people tell you it's not an issue.. Perhaps you need to fill out a hurt feelers report?
Nope, no hurt feelers report needed. I'm too old old for that bs. You have your opinion, I have mine. Neither is more valuable than the other.

I had a terrible time with Stihl saws faster coming loose. When you need a productive day. The last thing we want is break downs. What the experiment proves? Screws coming loose all the time gets old fast. For what ever reason one brand will work great for one person our company just fine. After all the great advice we will spend money on stuff that did not live up to the legendary brand. And have major problems. No one buys a product first time prefect when entering a hobby or lifestyle. You figure it out with your money and time.

No hurt feelings here either. It’s not an opinion though. I’ve only owned about 20 or so saws, all brands, and only had one plague me with loose screws… my 395. Love the saw, but proves to me, it’s an issue. I rarely have issues with my equipment.

You need to ask yourself where can I get the best service? If a saw goes down and you need work done will the shop fix it for you right away or will it sit for a week on the floor? Will they give you a loaner for the day? Do they have common parts in stock? I agree with what Gord said, 3 series Husqvarna or an older Stihl, 200t for climbing 440, 460, 660, hard to beat those saws. They both made some great ones and some not so great ones.

Personally I like those old Stihls aswell - 260, 460, 660, 880 etc.. They have been around a while so the problems are well known but still easy enough to work on. I remain open minded (but skeptical simply because they haven't been around long enough) about today's lighter, higher reving and mtronic saws. Time will tell!

Personally I like those old Stihls aswell - 260, 460, 660, 880 etc.. They have been around a while so the problems are well known but still easy enough to work on. I remain open minded (but skeptical simply because they haven't been around long enough) about today's lighter, higher reving and mtronic saws. Time will tell!
Chainsaws are all pretty simple and mtronic is just an additional solenoid.The newer stihls don't rev higher than the old ones, it's just they have properly designed cylinders instead of the antiquated port designs on the saws you mentioned.
Those old stihls sucked IMO when compared to Husky's of that time.

...and Echo is even a poorer mans Husky. Of course in my case Im for Echo.

I really dislike the X versus X versus X so I won't be commenting further...
Objectively, in the past Stihl lagged Husky. Presently Stihl has some saws that equal or exceed Husky.
Brand loyalty is plain stupid. I will buy/run whatever performs best at the time.

Here in northern Alberta, 200 K from any large town or city, I have a John Deere dealership fairly close that sells Stihl, has knowledgeable staff that also heat their homes with wood, and also has a fairly well stocked warehouse locally or overnight at longest for most parts and pieces I have needed. They call me now and then to let me know of deals or promotions. I enjoy dealing with them. Husky is supposed to be sold and serviced through the Canadian Tire store, a store that stocks nothing, has no techs, no parts and zero knowledge of what a saw even is. To purchase through a reputable dealer would require a 2 hour trip south and 2 hours home, 400 K round trip.
Stihl wins in my circumstance based of these facts and not on quality or performance factors.

Here in northern Alberta, 200 K from any large town or city, I have a John Deere dealership fairly close that sells Stihl, has knowledgeable staff that also heat their homes with wood, and also has a fairly well stocked warehouse locally or overnight at longest for most parts and pieces I have needed. They call me now and then to let me know of deals or promotions. I enjoy dealing with them. Husky is supposed to be sold and serviced through the Canadian Tire store, a store that stocks nothing, has no techs, no parts and zero knowledge of what a saw even is. To purchase through a reputable dealer would require a 2 hour trip south and 2 hours home, 400 K round trip.
Stihl wins in my circumstance based of these facts and not on quality or performance factors.
John Deere has always been good to me in Alberta, it helps when you live in a town of population 6000 and everyone knows who you are, good feeling to walk into a store where they say hello by name.

Is it me or do you ever feel that the operators of any forum start threads just to stir the pot and get members to react? And we bite and play along.
I like these threads because they are good at exposing a lot of dumb prejudice. These discussions are great crap detectors.

Back