Hyway 390xp “big-bore” kit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or send original out to builder and get it modified as from what I hear 390 modify well

Curious as well, needs to question the why aspect. Just grab a 395xp and be done with it.
not my saw...friend's kid's saw he ran over :p It will be a backup saw that keeps a 36" on it. It won't get that much use.

They are just looking at options. P&C were killed along with a few other external items that I've already sourced. OE kit is $310 and more than they want to spend so the options are Meteor or Hyway from $115-$150. I just happened to notice the BB kit so wondered about it.

not my saw...friend's kid's saw he ran over :p It will be a backup saw that keeps a 36" on it. It won't get that much use.

They are just looking at options. P&C were killed along with a few other external items that I've already sourced. OE kit is $310 and more than they want to spend so the options are Meteor or Hyway from $115-$150. I just happened to notice the BB kit so wondered about it.
Roger that. I guess I can see the appeal for a spare saw. No used in good shape cylinders available locally, evilbay?

Roger that. I guess I can see the appeal for a spare saw. No used in good shape cylinders available locally, evilbay?
nope. Actually, the piston is fine...forgot that. Cyl was crushed beyond repair with plug ripped out but internals are fine. No 390 cylinders at all out there from the usual sources and zip here and on OPE. the only option is to replace the entire top end. I've done a complete tear-down and am replacing bearings, seals, gaskets, top cover, clutch cover P&C. I had to clean it all up to find out what all was damaged.

I've ran a handful of aftermarket cylinders, hyway, meteor, farmertec, etc...

I personally don't do any middle of the road cylinders anymore it's either cheap or OEM. Most aftermarket cylinders need some kind of cylinder work like cleaning up the port itself and beveling them. Timing seems to very between all AM cylinder brands.

As far as Big bore goes I know you can make a 660 cylinder ran better than a 660 BB cylinder but not sure if the same is true for the 395xp or not.

Is it an earlier or later 390? The earlier ones were prone to having bottom end issues which I wouldn't imagine a larger piston & higher compression would help with

I don't have the tools to fix it. It would need to be completely welded up and re-machined. I could send it out but at much more than the cost of the new oe kit.

Every saw dabbler needs a machinist/welder friend.

Failing that, inserts can be had that are thicker walled than the usual- there is a cheap auto parts store one that requires the hole to be drilled to 17mm before the self tapping insert is added.
They aint perfect and often thread out staying attached to the sparkplug- but when you have a wallowed out hole, no cheap means of welding it up properly, or it is a hard to find cylinder- they do work.
Champion SKU: CTI-140

Every saw dabbler needs a machinist/welder friend.

Failing that, inserts can be had that are thicker walled than the usual- there is a cheap auto parts store one that requires the hole to be drilled to 17mm before the self tapping insert is added.
They aint perfect and often thread out staying attached to the sparkplug- but when you have a wallowed out hole, no cheap means of welding it up properly, or it is a hard to find cylinder- they do work.
Champion SKU: CTI-140
I dont think there is enough of the hole left to seat an insert.
But, I'll reevaluate:p

On the other hand, one entire side of fins is broken off and not all were recovered.

Back