ignition coils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnb

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys! Is there a proper way to test an ignition coil. I got a 261 husky that has no fire. I have checked the key way and the wiring looks intact without any damage. Im pretty sure its the coil at this point but I just wonder if there is a good way to test these things without just throwing them in the trash. Thanks "the Hoosier"

"Its a jungle out their"

Easy test first....pull the wire off the switch and check...husky switches have been infamous for going bad...other than that...throw a new coil and test....takes only a few minutes....is the 261 the two-piece ignition?? cant remember...Are you using a new plug or a spark tester?? seen bad plugs out of the box before too....what a pain that is when you realize the problem...there are testers out there that will give you flow and resistance in a particular coil...but sometimes that doesnt tell you the real story either....

Go through all the tests before you plunk down the $ for a new coil. We have a nice coil tester in the shop, but it doesn't always work with all types of electronic ignition coils. Sometimes the Secondary or Primary winding might be bad and the coil will fire on the tester and not on the saw. I recently had "2" 2065 jonsereds in the shop with bad coils, Sometimes I think they come in batches.

Back