Is a sprocket upgrade needed to upgrade Stihl MS260 chainsaw from 0.325 to a 3/8 bar and chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pioneer

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Stihl has a full chisel version of the Pico 3/8 called the Pico super (PS). I've tried both the 3/8 and .325 rs pro, not enough difference to justify changing over from .325. You have more teeth to sharpen with .325 but it cuts smoother, especially in small wood.

old guy

old guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I think you might have that wrong. 3/8 pitch is 3/8 pitch , LP or standard. Sprocket is the same for both. And as long as you stick to the same gauge, say 050, any 050 bar with a 3/8 nose will work with either LP or standard.
Nope, nope, nope, they are different. You can get by with l p on a standard 3/8 sprocket, it won't be right but will work. but you cannot put regular 3/8 on a lo pro sprocket.

Bruiser1

Bruiser1

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Just did this to my 026 went from 18" .325 .063 to 20" RS 3/8 .050 full skip chisel.
Yes, it pulls the full skip real well in the cut. Also had to change out the rim to 7 tooth mini spline. Change over cost me $126 bar 2 Chains and the rim well worth it.
I could just never understand why Stihl put an 063 gauge drivers on a 48cc saw usually there for the bigger saws.
Anyway, I've had no drag no kickback.
With the 325 063 you can't buy a full skip someone correct me if I'm wrong on that

jblnut

jblnut

Overweight and underpaid.
AS Supporting Member
Your right I was referring to Stihl chain
I much prefer using Stihl or even Oregon chains but I've been quite impressed with this Forester brand chain. I have a few in different sizes for different saws and they do really well. I think the Stihl chains of the same type hold their sharp longer but with the type of cutting I do I'm more likely to hit a rock or something grown into the tree so having cheaper chains is fine with me. When I'm cutting stuff in the woods vs a fenceline I'll always throw a Stihl chain on.