Is this a fake Stihl MS660?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman89

Reaction score
IMG_9614.jpegI am looking to buy a MS669-‘s wanted to see if this was a fake. This is the only picture I have of it.

Why do the chineese feel no need to make a quality brand of their own? It's like central planning decided the best way to make a middle class is to copy others. However they failed to play the long game of brand loyalty and developing a generational customer base devoted to quality.

Long run thinking vs short term thinking.

Is there one dead giveaway that everyone sees? I've never even operated a Stihl

The giveaway for Chinese clones is always the font.

The font is actually the hardest thing to reproduce. It can get close, but the font size and the bolding is hard to copy. They never get it right.

Why do the chineese feel no need to make a quality brand of their own?

Lots of reasons. No R&D, no testing, no employees/benefits to be bothered with, no compliance testing, No brick and mortar stores, to name a few.
It's partly why they are so good at making products cheap. They've mastered the art of copying other's intellectual property.

Three things that were easy to spot. The cylinder cover badge text size and font is all wrong, the "Stihl" on a OEM clutch cover is cast into the metal and the font is smaller, there is a missing label on the tank assembly on the flat surface below the throttle control that has Stihl information on it along with saw displacement information.

Aside from the fact that it looks nothing like any 660 I've ever seen in this Universe or any other ... I guess it looks kinda sorta like a chainsaw! And hey at least they spelled Stihl right.

FarmMac puts serial numbers right there just like stihl. Farmertec saws do not.
But do they use the Stihl symbol shown in pic.

Thinking farmmac used grey cases anyways. Then nt orange. Farmertec only had white cases in kits at one time. Also blue, grey now too.

Attachments

• s660bbbb.jpg
    s660bbbb.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 0
  • g660dp.jpg
    g660dp.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0

Thinking farmmac used grey cases anyways. Then nt orange. Farmertec only had white cases in kits at one time. Also blue, grey now too.

the farmmac that I worked on had a white case but I don't remember seeing any stihl logos on it.

The Stihl Logo on the sprocket cover should be in raised lettering, not a sticker. Also, if it looks so new, that's likely a hint it's a clone. Stihl no longer makes the 660 as far as I know. They make the 661, both a regular carbureted version and an M-tronic/computer controlled carburetor version.

The Stihl Logo on the sprocket cover should be in raised lettering, not a sticker. Also, if it looks so new, that's likely a hint it's a clone. Stihl no longer makes the 660 as far as I know. They make the 661, both a regular carbureted version and an M-tronic/computer controlled carburetor version.
The 660 is still made today, It’s just not available for purchase in EPA countries

Back