Jonsered 70e Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holycow72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I finally figured out how to upload pictures on here...

I'm presently rebuilding a Jonsered 70E....

I'm awaiting my carb kit....with the carb out....there is a threaded hole you can see in this picture...can anyone tell me if it serves a purpose?

This is my first chainsaw rebuild...so I'm learning as I go...

Any and ALL info will be much appreciated...

THank you in advance, Robin:chainsawguy:

Hello everyone, I finally figured out how to upload pictures on here...

I'm presently rebuilding a Jonsered 70E....

I'm awaiting my carb kit....with the carb out....there is a threaded hole you can see in this picture...can anyone tell me if it serves a purpose?

This is my first chainsaw rebuild...so I'm learning as I go...

Any and ALL info will be much appreciated...

THank you in advance, Robin:chainsawguy:

I first posted about the fuel tank vent, but now I see what you mean. Weird. Reminds me of maybe a grounding screw for heated handles. That is where the 451EV had its grounding screw.

Last edited:
That was the mount point for the ignition chip

Those cases had the hole drilled and tapped for the module which was the same module as the Partner Ignitron module if I remember right.

Far fewer of those type ignitions survived but here is the IPL for that version.

http://www.jonsered.ws/70e.pdf

Last edited:
The one i have has that module but its tothe rear and left of that location

Those cases had the hole drilled and tapped for the module which was the same module as the Partner Ignitron module if I remember right.

Far fewer of those type ignitions survived but here is the IPL for that version.

http://www.jonsered.ws/70e.pdf

Thats right! I knew I remembered seeing something there on another saw. Was it the same style as the 500/5000 series?

Yes.same module

I vaguely recall there being several different mounting points being suggested by Jonsered because the RIFA modules were failing far too often.

The smaller partners had some problems with the modules too so they switched to a one piece ignition.

The bigger partners seemed to have pretty good luck with the modules once they were moved into the handle.

Most Jonsered dealers that were around then to this day freak out if you mention this ignition.

I vaguely recall there being several different mounting points being suggested by Jonsered because the RIFA modules were failing far too often.

The smaller partners had some problems with the modules too so they switched to a one piece ignition.

The bigger partners seemed to have pretty good luck with the modules once they were moved into the handle.

Most Jonsered dealers that were around then to this day freak out if you mention this ignition.

So is there more than one type of ignition that these saws may come with?

If so and holycow72 has the newer version that does not require that threaded hole, can he just ignore it and leave it as is?

(I'm trying to learn what I can to prepare for finding a 70E to call my own :D)

Thanks

:cheers:

This was back in a different time

There were more changes and or almost complete redesigns (while externally looking almost the same) when there were higher sales and larger profit margins.

Most of the 70Es left around here use the pick up coils and electronics mounted inside the flywheel with the plastic fan that screws to the flywheel with the secondary coil or transformer mounted in the recoil cover.

There were even 49 SPs with this same ignition.

I am pretty sure I have also seen at least one or two with the coil cylinder mounted and a solid state one piece coil like the last P100 supers and Mac PM1000's but that does not mean that they were not refit with the parts later.

Back to the original poster

does the hole run all the way through to the fuel side of the tank?

I would doubt it.

Last edited:
Hey PES+,

I have a 70E that has the coil attached to the cylinder, but a 66E that has the coil inside the recoil. Which version is earlier?

Coil on cylinder is later. All 66E's are like the old type 70E, inside

Must depend on area

The earlier ones were more maintenance but most are still alive around here. Though parts are getting harder to find.......in particular the plastic fans.

The 49SP and 70Es with the cylinder mounted coils around here all killed their coils which a lot of people seemed to blame on vibration .....that would be part of it as well as heat from being mounted to the cylinder.

The earlier ones were more maintenance but most are still alive around here. Though parts are getting harder to find.......in particular the plastic fans.

The 49SP and 70Es with the cylinder mounted coils around here all killed their coils which a lot of people seemed to blame on vibration .....that would be part of it as well as heat from being mounted to the cylinder.

I thought I read somewhere that if you cut a hole in the recoil(don't remember where, exactly) of the 70e/66e, that you took some of the heat off. Wish I could remember where I read that. Never tried it, but if heat was an issue........

hole

Thanks for all the responses...they've definitely helped...I'm learning a lot about this saw...

There was no screw in that hole when I started this project..

I do have some sort of module mounted to the rear/left of the mystery holes' location...it attaches to the on/off switch and then to the ignition mounted to the cylinder...metal flywheel w/ magnet in it...

As far as this mystery hole...it sounds like it could have been originally tapped for alternate versions/slight modifications of my saw? I just want to make sure I'm not missing parts...before I fire her up..

Just replaced the return spring for the throttle...local dealer was mystified..and had no clue on what type to order...went to Ace Hardware and found one that could double for an OEM spring I bet...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses...they've definitely helped...I'm learning a lot about this saw...

There was no screw in that hole when I started this project..

I do have some sort of module mounted to the rear/left of the mystery holes' location...it attaches to the on/off switch and then to the ignition mounted to the cylinder...metal flywheel w/ magnet in it...

As far as this mystery hole...it sounds like it could have been originally tapped for alternate versions/slight modifications of my saw? I just want to make sure I'm not missing parts...before I fire her up..

Just replaced the return spring for the throttle...local dealer was mystified..and had no clue on what type to order...went to Ace Hardware and found one that could double for an OEM spring I bet...

I just used a spring from the hardware store as well.

..... Back to the original poster

does the hole run all the way through to the fuel side of the tank?

I would doubt it.

holycow72

I believe that the answer to PES+'s question will have an impact on how you should deal with that hole.

Latest posts

Back