Jonsered model number or info by serial number

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycle409

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently puchased a new house with some land. While working in the woods today I found a chainsaw. It was left in the woods under a tarp. It looks like it was on fire and was just left for dead. I dont know when or anything about the saw except it says Jonsered on the starter cover. The serial number is 1303423. Can anyone identify this saw buy the serial number?
Thanks

Photos

I'll get some photos tonight.
Serial number is a small metal tag on the side of the tan/crankcase.
Cannot read the name most of it burned off. LOL
The starter cover looks like a very small briggs and stratton starter from a mini bike. Tilliston carb, single ring piston, size unknown ( should have measured it), great compression. Entire case in metal, no real plastic parts here.
Thanks

Last edited:
I'll get some photos tonight.
Serial number is a small metal tag on the side of the tan/crankcase.
Cannot read the name most of it burned off. LOL
The starter cover looks like a very small briggs and stratton starter from a mini bike. Tilliston carb, single ring piston, size unknown ( should have measured it), great compression. Entire case in metal, no real plastic parts here.
Thanks

By the discription so far it abviously is an older one, about early 1980s or older - but the serial number itself will give no clue regarding the model.

Try to take pics from both sides, and more.....

OK this lets the light in a bit.....an all metal Jonsereds tells us that a pic or pics or a very detailed descripion are absolutely needed to identify this saw. On the old Jonsereds the serial number has gives no id info at all. It is simply a production number. It wasn't until the 80's and the death of Jonsereds that Jonsered got the modern Husky style numbering system which too has changed over the yrs.

Last edited:
Some good news and some bad

I think it is a model 51 or 52 but I dont really know the difference. I'm not sure I wanr to try to fix it, its really burned up, but I was thinking if I new what it was and found a saw with a bad motor I could use my power head, it seems to be in very nice shape with great compression, nice clutch, no broken parts just alot of melted plastic and rubber parts. Can anyone tell me the difference between the 52 and 52, mine saw has (had points).
Thanks guys

With the serial number you mentioned, I'm pretty sure it is a late production 52, and not a 51, unless the top cover is/was red - then it will be a 49SP.

With the serial number you mentioned, I'm pretty sure it is a late production 52, and not a 51, unless the top cover is/was red - then it will be a 49SP.

I agree.....a quick way to tell the diference between a 52/52E and the 49 is the flywheel and coil. 52 had a black plastic flywheel fan and the spark coil was mounted to the inside of the recoil cover...the 49 had an alum fan/flywheel and the coil was mounted on the cyl. The entire top of the 49sp was red and the top of the 52 was black as Niko said.....maybe the paint is all burned off yours.

You said earlier that it had a single ring.....the 49sp had one ring...the 52/52E had two rings As I said a couple photos would pretty much end the speculation..

I guess that would depend on how much you like older Jonsereds.....if it runs...$40.00 isn't much money...many parts will interchange from your 49.....the 50 and 51 have a different top end than either the 49 or 52 which are also different from each other, however they all can be installed on the same cases as long as you have the supporting ign systems....

49SP's

Robin
Do you have any interest in the 49SP, the top and bootom of the motor seem to very nice. I cant see ever fixing it but it seems like a shame to throw it away. You have a most complete 49SP with a bad crank or not motor at all you would sell?
Rick

I guess that would depend on how much you like older Jonsereds.....if it runs...$40.00 isn't much money...many parts will interchange from your 49.....the 50 and 51 have a different top end than either the 49 or 52 which are also different from each other, however they all can be installed on the same cases as long as you have the supporting ign systems....

Those saws all are too heavy for the cc and power by current standards, so they basically are collectors items, unless there is a family history connected to them. $40.00 is a suitable price for a collectors item, that isn't really scarce, imo.

Back