Jonsered to Husky cross-overs ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

confused

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Jonsy fans,

The crossover comparisons hold from the 2149-346 up through the 2171-372. But when is Jonsy going to get the 385 copies or whatever it is they do. Also the 2159 according to Jonsy website produces more power than the 359 Husky. Personally, I like the red and black of the Jonsy much better than the Husky orange. O another question do Jonsy and Husky collaborate on designs with Husky having the first release or is there some other arrangement.

Chevy and GMC, Johnson and Evinrude, Mercury and Mariner. All these pairs share many common parts inside with most of the differences being only cosmetic. When OMC went out of business and Bombardier bought the outboard motors lines, they divided up the market segments, having Evinrude at one end and Johnson at the other making different motors. Husky and Jonsey are made on the same production lines with many common parts and a few different ones. Outside they're different to certain degrees. Since Husky currently outsells Jonsey by a considerable margin, I would suspect that a similar divison of market segment targets might happen here as well. Of course, if many people are starting to like Jonsey over Husky, who knows. Maybe it's really only a color thing.

I've sent a lot of Jonsys out the door with "Husky" parts in them, and vice versa. Many Husky numbers come up on my Jonsered price list. There always has been slight variations in specs on some models. It may be like the weight figures, they can vary from ad to ad for the same unit.
I've never tried to compare two saws from the same production period to see if they were all the same. Would be interesting though.
I do think that one outfit may hit the market with a feature change before the other. If I remember correctly, Jonsereds showed up in my area with the "turbo" air cleaning a bit before Husky. That could be distribution, and dealer ordering rather than production.
I have never noticed much difference between the two brands in cutting. I had a 2150 and a 350 in for service at the same time the other day, with a blindfold on I doubt anyone could tell them apart.

Jonsered and Husqvarna obviously both share the same ideas, but they do have different R&D facilities...whether they use them or not..who knows...lol...Jonsered has theirs in the town of Jonsered..and Husky's theirs in Huskvarna (yes, its spelled that way) but obviously collaborate....When I was in Sweden in 1997 I exerted my influence (HA! read bought lots of drinks)on one of the guys over there and he gave me a master crossover list...ie: where used list which has both lines...very handy...but unfortunately not up to date anymore...
Both lines share the opportunity of releasing ideas first...the 2071 came out almost a year later than the 371..due to choice...thankfully...as the gas tanks and oilers sucked on the first 371's...Jonsered came out with the outboard sprocket long before Husky with the 2077....

Ill tell ya a story also of being in the assembly plant in Husqvarna , Sweden..although it was back in 89. I was standing on top of the foremans shack..a place above for viewing over the entire assembly area. (one of the many )..
The assembly teams are around a circular table..with 6 to 8 persons on a team. in the center of the table, on a pipe like stand, is a sign holder, about 2 ft long..in this holder is a sign that represents the saw that is being assembled on that station, and it is a flip style arrangement, with several signs within..one that comes to mind is the one that had a red 670 sign...then copuld be flipped to a orange 266 sign...then to a yellow that i cant remember what number. When I asked my friend what that was all about, he replied that that is how the forklift drivers know what parts to bring in the tubs and set behind the workers. Cool I thought. on another table was a small saw tie-strapped to a hook above.. that looked like a model 40..but it had a black top cover..yellow chain brake...red crankcase..orange rear handle, and a really sexy dark blue plastic half wrap handle..I asked him what that was all about and he said just kind of a joke assembly that a worker assembled and told the management that they should sell em this away too!

The point is really..is management decides what saws are marketed under what label..and I can assure you that plant over in the town of Jonsered is just another building in the electrolux company. They do things kind different than we might think correct over here. For instance the complex in Husqvarna has many, many buildings there, and some products are made in an older way of manufacturing, and some in a newer fashion..depending on what building your in. during that same year, i was in the building that housed the new robot assembly line for the then new..262XP...no humans touched that saw after they loaded parts in racks along the line and when it was at the end ..it was a complete crankcase assembly minus the cylinder/piston.

The diversity of technologies are amazing to see over there as far as manufacturing goes..I drank a cup of coffee at break time many times with a fella that looked like he was about 150 years old, working in a small 200 year old building with what could of been a dirt floor for all you could tell, and after break he would go back to sitting at his bench in front of a vice that was older than he was , and continue to engrave the recievers on shotguns with a wooden mallet and a handheld engraving chisel!

you could leave his shop and walk directly across to a warehouse that held zillions of power equip parts and had all robot forklifts running up an down the isles fetching tubs for the workers from endless stacks, with no human workers anywhere in site!

AS Dennis says in his post above.."Who Knows", and im sure that they have built new buildings and have changed things since i was there last.
As most products designed today..in any market...current new designs are created with manufacturing effieciency as the number one priority..all other criteria take a lessor proirity!

Back