Jonsereds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihltech

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Customer brought in a Jonsy 520SP needing a recoil housing. Ordered one from the local dealer.
Old recoil is mounted by three screws, new one by 4. I was told to drill and tap a new hole for the fourth screw. This would be into the fuel tank, with 1/8 inch of material to tap. Does not sound like a good idea to me.
Anyone experienced this repair? All help will be appreciated.

Ok....Service bulletin reads, that the original cover (3 hole) was upchanged twice to other covers (4 hole) because they went to a better cooling housing system....it goes on to say that if you want the 4 hole cover to work you need to change the crankcase as well...(yeah right....cost effective??)...so that leaves us back to the start of drilling and tapping...any chance of getting a 3 or 4 mm screw to tap in there?? I havent seen this problem myself....having never seen a 520...lots of 525's....

Why not just run it with three screws? If the old one worked with three, why not the new one. Is it flimsy, perhaps?

I had a 520SP yrs ago, till I lost it out of a pile of brush in my pick up. A weird saw, it had a block between the crankcase and cylinder, which had a warping problem. I think it would compare very favorably (pwr/weight) to today's 346 or the 2149. I'm pretty sure it and its sister, the Partner P500, were the first powerful 10 lb, 3 cube saws. I'm believe I got it before I got a 154 Husky, which i still have- over 1 lb heavier, but certainly gutsier.

I just saw and ran a customer's P500 recently, it ran and cut real well.

Rog

No the old one doesn't work because it lost a tab which went under the top cover to hold the top corner. When you pull the starter handle, it pulls the rope rotor out of the flywheel dogs.

Contact Motorsag (George Blake) and see if he can get you an original 3 bolt design. I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's THE MAN whenit comes to Jonsered(s) parts. [email protected]

He seems to now be back from a three month gap. In fact, he dropped me an email today. His schedule makes him a hard man to get a hold of, but he's a god when it comes to old saw parts. Can you believe he even found me a sales brochure for a RingSaw?

Latest posts

Back